PSA: phased migration of primary compiler from GCC to LLVM

Luis Lozano

Oct 11, 2016, 5:50:22 PM10/11/16
to Chromium OS dev
TL;DR: The Toolchain team is migrating to use LLVM as primary compiler for Chrome OS. We will start this week with AMD64 boards.

Hi all,

The Chrome OS toolchain team is migrating Chrome OS from using GCC to using LLVM as the primary compiler.

We have been doing a lot of testing and verification and we feel pretty confident all the major issues have been resolved.
There are some packages that cannot be build with LLVM yet (kernel, firmware...).
We will also continue building the Chrome browser itself with GCC for a bit longer while we work on some LLVM performance optimizations.

Below are the steps and *TENTATIVE* schedule for the migration. A few weeks before each step, we migrate a couple of boards so that they can be tested in the canary and dev channels before migrating all the boards.

1) Migrate AMD64 boards (Tomorrow, Oct 12th. Very early in R56)
2) Migrate ARM32 boards (Nov 18th. Very early in R57)
3) Migrate ARM64 boards (Dec 2nd)
4) Migrate host compiler (Jan 20. Very early  in R58)
5) Do migration for Chrome browser. (starting Q2 2017)

In case you find a problem, please file bugs to crosbug.com (use label build-toolchain) or email to chromeos-...@google.com

Thanks

The Chrome OS toolchain team

Luis Lozano

Nov 23, 2016, 8:00:42 PM11/23/16
to Chromium OS dev
We are continuing with the migration.
We will continue with the  planned schedule (below) and do step 2) Migration of ARM32 boards, this Sunday night.

In case you find a problem, please file bugs to crosbug.com (use label build-toolchain) or email to chromeos-toolchain@google.com

Luis Lozano

Mar 6, 2017, 1:36:56 PM3/6/17
to Chromium OS dev
hi all,

over the weekend, we completed step 5) below. The Chrome browser within Chrome OS is now built with the LLVM compiler.
This was enabled at March 3, 23:32 version R59-9336.0.0-rc2.

In case you find a problem, please file bugs to crosbug.com (use label build-toolchain) or email to chromeos-toolchain@google.com

thanks

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 2:50 PM, Luis Lozano <llo...@chromium.org> wrote:
In case you find a problem, please file bugs to crosbug.com (use label build-toolchain) or email to chromeos-toolchain@google.com