PSA: Friendlier output for cros commands

Ralph

May 19, 2015, 5:45:36 PM5/19/15
to chromiu...@chromium.org
Currently, executing cros commands can produce a lot of output. I'm adding support for progress bars and friendlier output. If you want the current output, please use the '--log-level info' flag.

If you have any concerns, please email me.

Thanks,
Ralph

Mike Frysinger

May 20, 2015, 12:49:46 AM5/20/15
to Ralph, chromium-os-dev
we have a standard --debug flag.  maybe we should add a --verbose flag now too ?
-mike

Ralph

May 20, 2015, 1:27:19 AM5/20/15
to chromiu...@chromium.org
Would the proposed --verbose flag map to --log-level info?

Ralph

Mike Frysinger

May 20, 2015, 1:52:33 AM5/20/15
to Ralph, chromium-os-dev
yeah, i think like we do with --debug
-mike

David James

May 20, 2015, 1:58:58 PM5/20/15
to Mike Frysinger, Ralph, chromium-os-dev
The --debug flag is currently a bit of a mess. For some scripts, --debug is just the equivalent of --log-level=debug. For other scripts, --debug actually is a combination of --dry-run and --log-level=debug. I'd like to see --debug split out, maybe into --dry-run and --log-level=debug, so that it's clear what each option does.

--verbose seems like it might get confusing as well due to the fact that --log-level=info is the default for some commands and --log-level=notice is the default for others, so it would be unclear what we would want --verbose to do. Adding to the confusion, many commands already have used the --verbose flag for other purposes.

Christopher Wiley

May 20, 2015, 2:09:36 PM5/20/15
to David James, Mike Frysinger, Ralph, chromium-os-dev
David, are your concerns with the newer cros/brillo commands, or legacy scripts?  I'd like to do something which we can be consistent in newer scripts, and makes sense there.  I guess I'm less concerned with how that gels with how we used to do things.  Certainly I have my biases.

I personally would prefer to not have a --verbose flag, but instead just pass --log-level=info, since this is more explicit.  I'm fine with the --verbose however if there is consensus that this is a good idea.  /ambivalent

wiley

Mukesh Agrawal

May 20, 2015, 2:27:53 PM5/20/15
to Christopher Wiley, David James, Mike Frysinger, Ralph, chromium-os-dev
I think your point and David's dovetail nicely -- both argue that explicit is better.

How about new scripts have neither --debug, nor --verbose? Instead, they would have --log-level, and (where appropriate) --dry-run.
This conversation is locked