Building linux-next kernel for use with chromeos/ other linux distros on hp chromebook 14 g3

paul Ramundo

Feb 22, 2015, 1:31:33 AM2/22/15
to chromiu...@chromium.org
I am having some trouble getting thew linux-next kernel (from kernel.org) to boot on my chromebook.  I have compiled it using the tegra_defconfig provided from the google repositories with the xhci-firmware and packaged it with the backup configuration, as well as verified it, however, I am unsuccessful in getting it to boot.  Attached is my vbutil_kernel --verify

Key block:
  Signature:           ignored
  Size:                0x4b8
  Flags:               7  !DEV DEV !REC
  Data key algorithm:  4 RSA2048 SHA256
  Data key version:    1
  Data key sha1sum:    d6170aa480136f1f29cf339a5ab1b960585fa444
Preamble:
  Size:                0xfb48
  Header version:      2.0
  Kernel version:      1
  Body load address:   0x100000
  Body size:           0x43c000
  Bootloader address:  0x53c000
  Bootloader size:     0x0
Body verification succeeded.
Config:
console=tty1 debug verbose root=/dev/sda7 rootwait rw lsm.module_locking=0

If any additionally pertinent information is needed, I would be more than happy to provide it.

ggg

Feb 23, 2015, 12:42:16 PM2/23/15
to chromiu...@chromium.org

On Saturday, February 21, 2015 at 10:31:33 PM UTC-8, paul Ramundo wrote:
I am having some trouble getting thew linux-next kernel (from kernel.org) to boot on my chromebook.

What stage of the boot process isn't working?

Is the kernel not getting loaded?
(I'm wondering if that's why you posted the vbutil output).

If the kernel is getting loaded, do you have any console output that you can share?
(Take a picture of the boot output)

 I have compiled it using the tegra_defconfig provided from the google repositories

Two things:
1) Tegra K1 is a new chipset that might NOT have fully landed upstream. Nvidia folks should be able answer this.
2) AFAICT, the defconfig_tegra would be for a 3.10 kernel...that might not work perfectly for 3.19 (or 4.0-rc*) kernels.

cheers,
grant
This conversation is locked