Chrome OS on phone

-R-

Aug 19, 2016, 12:08:51 AM8/19/16
to Chromium OS dev
Hi,

Chrome OS has official ports mostly on netbooks and laptops ,  Is it possible to port chrome OS phone or devices with smaller screens such 3,4,5 inch screens without any modifications to resources files ?

Does Chrome OS include resource alignements screen sizes as Android support or design principles of Chrome OS was only targeted for larger screens such tablets, laptops?

Appreciate your feedback.

Hyunsu Ko

Aug 19, 2016, 12:25:11 AM8/19/16
to Chromium OS dev
I doubt why not. However, android arm phones use highly modified Linux kernel and ChromeOS uses least modified kernel. I think you would not be able to boot chromium is onto android phone with unmodified genuine android kernel.

Also, if the android device use aboot, I think it won't be able to boot neither as chromium os uses core-boot or uboot.

Partition will be matter too. Chromium os and android have different structure of partition. Flashing chromium OS won't be as simple as flashing android custom rom.

I think it will be possible but more than to much work week be needed.

-R-

Aug 19, 2016, 12:33:39 AM8/19/16
to Chromium OS dev
How about system resources alignment with smaller screens, I am asking this since chrome OS builds should include resource files which fits different display sizes like how Android does.
Can chrome OS auto fit to smaller displays or should we add new resource files to fit small screen ?

Hyunsu Ko

Aug 20, 2016, 8:17:47 AM8/20/16
to Chromium OS dev
I think it will work as linux on android. I don't know if you have tried that one.

Daniel Erat

Aug 25, 2016, 8:39:15 AM8/25/16
to -R-, Chromium OS dev
Please don't start multiple threads with the same question.

Chrome generally includes 100% and 200% versions of image resources, although there's a current push to move to vector images. Chrome OS's UI would not be usable in its current form on a 3-to-5-inch screen, and the reasons why go way beyond a lack of scaled-down images.

This conversation is locked