Starting a gerrit review on unchanged files?

Zentaro Kavanagh

May 21, 2018, 10:20:05 AM5/21/18
to Chromium OS dev
Is there a way to start a gerrit review on a whole directory?

For example to do mass code review/audit?

Landing the CL is probably optional, just mainly wanting to take advantage of being able to attach notes to specific lines/files.

The only workaround I can think of is to add some whitespace to every file to get it in a CL, then "expand all" each file to review the unchanged lines. Is there an easier way?

Doug Anderson

May 21, 2018, 11:16:40 AM5/21/18
to Zentaro Kavanagh, Chromium OS dev
A little known fact is that you can actually add comments to any file
in gerrit without it being part of a review.

So you can create and upload an empty review like this:

repo start 180521-empty .
git commit -m "empty commit" --allow-empty
repo upload . --cbr --no-verify

Now I have an empty review:

https://chromium-review.googlesource.com/c/chromiumos/third_party/kernel/+/1067029

If I want to add a comment to README, I just add it to the URL (add
the "/1" in there too):

https://chromium-review.googlesource.com/c/chromiumos/third_party/kernel/+/1067029/1/README

I've now published the comment. You should be able to check it out.

-Doug
> --
> --
This conversation is locked