Whats the difference between different Kernel versions

Paco GB

Jan 13, 2017, 6:43:49 AM1/13/17
to Chromium OS dev
Hi,

I'm trying to modify, compile and install a kernel in ChromeOS, and i have a doubt I wanted to ask you. When selecting which Kernel branch/tag to use, I see different options and I wanted to ask you whats the difference between them. I have a Chromebook Pixel 2 (samus board with 3.14 kernel) and I see  three different main options (and then its version numbers):

- chromeos-(Kernel version here)
- factory-samus-(A version number here)-(Kernel version here)
- firmware-samus-(A version number here)-chromeos-(Kernel version here)

How can I know which one to use?

Thanks,

ggg

Jan 13, 2017, 12:02:08 PM1/13/17
to Chromium OS dev
Hi Paco,

On Friday, January 13, 2017 at 3:43:49 AM UTC-8, Paco GB wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying to modify, compile and install a kernel in ChromeOS, and i have a doubt I wanted to ask you. When selecting which Kernel branch/tag to use, I see different options and I wanted to ask you whats the difference between them. I have a Chromebook Pixel 2 (samus board with 3.14 kernel) and I see  three different main options (and then its version numbers):

- chromeos-(Kernel version here)

Use this one. This is the "main" development branch used to develop and maintain the product.

However, if you want exactly the version your samus is currently running, likely you'll want a "stabilize" branch like this:
   remotes/cros/stabilize-9000.B-chromeos-3.14

where 9000 matches the release listed in chrome://version (e.g. "Platform: 9000.50.0 ...")

- factory-samus-(A version number here)-(Kernel version here)

 The "factory" branch is created before product is released and this branch is used for factory testing of the HW. This will not have all fixes or features of the main development branch.

- firmware-samus-(A version number here)-chromeos-(Kernel version here)

I'm not sure why "firmware" (coreboot + depthcharge) creates a branch in the kernel tree.

cheers,
grant

Mike Frysinger

Jan 13, 2017, 2:28:38 PM1/13/17
to ggg, Chromium OS dev
On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 12:02 PM, ggg <grun...@chromium.org> wrote:
On Friday, January 13, 2017 at 3:43:49 AM UTC-8, Paco GB wrote:
I'm trying to modify, compile and install a kernel in ChromeOS, and i have a doubt I wanted to ask you. When selecting which Kernel branch/tag to use, I see different options and I wanted to ask you whats the difference between them. I have a Chromebook Pixel 2 (samus board with 3.14 kernel) and I see  three different main options (and then its version numbers):

- chromeos-(Kernel version here)

Use this one. This is the "main" development branch used to develop and maintain the product.

However, if you want exactly the version your samus is currently running, likely you'll want a "stabilize" branch like this:
   remotes/cros/stabilize-9000.B-chromeos-3.14

where 9000 matches the release listed in chrome://version (e.g. "Platform: 9000.50.0 ...")

mmm, no, don't use the stabilize branches.  those are testing/throw-away branches TPMs create to help with the release process.  a release branch is what you want like release-R55-8872.B.

- factory-samus-(A version number here)-(Kernel version here)

 The "factory" branch is created before product is released and this branch is used for factory testing of the HW. This will not have all fixes or features of the main development branch.

- firmware-samus-(A version number here)-chromeos-(Kernel version here)

I'm not sure why "firmware" (coreboot + depthcharge) creates a branch in the kernel tree.

because we branch the manifest, and the manifest includes the kernel repos.  we haven't bothered trimming down the manifest for firmware branches.
-mike

Grant Grundler

Jan 13, 2017, 2:39:59 PM1/13/17
to Mike Frysinger, ggg, Chromium OS dev
On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 11:28 AM, Mike Frysinger <vap...@chromium.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 12:02 PM, ggg <grun...@chromium.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Friday, January 13, 2017 at 3:43:49 AM UTC-8, Paco GB wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm trying to modify, compile and install a kernel in ChromeOS, and i
>>> have a doubt I wanted to ask you. When selecting which Kernel branch/tag to
>>> use, I see different options and I wanted to ask you whats the difference
>>> between them. I have a Chromebook Pixel 2 (samus board with 3.14 kernel) and
>>> I see three different main options (and then its version numbers):
>>>
>>> - chromeos-(Kernel version here)
>>

>> Use this one. This is the "main" development branch used to develop and
>> maintain the product.
>>
>> However, if you want exactly the version your samus is currently running,
>> likely you'll want a "stabilize" branch like this:
>> remotes/cros/stabilize-9000.B-chromeos-3.14
>>
>> where 9000 matches the release listed in chrome://version (e.g. "Platform:
>> 9000.50.0 ...")
>

> mmm, no, don't use the stabilize branches. those are testing/throw-away
> branches TPMs create to help with the release process. a release branch is
> what you want like release-R55-8872.B.

Sorry - Mike is right.

BTW, does that mean eventually we can dispose of older stabilize-* branches?

cheers,
grant

Francisco Gonzalez-Blanch

Jan 13, 2017, 5:00:24 PM1/13/17
to Grant Grundler, Mike Frysinger, Chromium OS dev

Thanks for the explanation. Then Myke what should I use for a ChromeOS version? the release branch  or the chromeos-(kernel version)?

Alexandru M Stan

Jan 13, 2017, 5:05:10 PM1/13/17
to Francisco Gonzalez-Blanch, Grant Grundler, Mike Frysinger, Chromium OS dev

On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 2:00 PM, Francisco Gonzalez-Blanch <fbl...@gmail.com> wrote:

Then Myke what should I use for a ChromeOS version? the release branch  or the chromeos-(kernel version)?

chromeos-3.14 is essentially what you would get daily on the canary channel
release-R[0-9][0-9]-*-chromeos-3.14 is what you get on the dev, beta and stable channels (depending on which version we're at currently). Periodically (every time there's a new chrome version), chromeos-3.14 gets branched into a release.

On something as old as samus, they're probably all pointing to the same commits, since there's not much activity in 3.14 anymore.

Alexandru Stan (amstan)

Mike Frysinger

Jan 13, 2017, 6:35:08 PM1/13/17
to Francisco Gonzalez-Blanch, Grant Grundler, Chromium OS dev
both :).  use Grant's tip to figure out which major release you're on (M56 or M57 or whatever), then comingle it with whatever kernel version you're using.

the kernel repo has branches like:
release-R54-8743.B-chromeos-3.8
release-R54-8743.B-chromeos-3.10
release-R54-8743.B-chromeos-3.14
release-R54-8743.B-chromeos-3.18
release-R54-8743.B-chromeos-4.4
-mike

Paco GB

Jan 17, 2017, 11:29:38 AM1/17/17
to Chromium OS dev, fbl...@gmail.com, grun...@chromium.org
Thanks, I did the same for the Bootstub repository

This conversation is locked