base::debug::StackTrace on ChromeOS

Dongseong Hwang

May 6, 2015, 1:58:17 PM5/6/15
to chromiu...@chromium.org
I couldn't print base::debug::StackTrace on ChromeOS even though I build chromium without --nowithdebug option and run chrome with --no-sandbox command line.
I got following obscure stack trace. Do anyone know how to print stack trace in chromebook?
$ cat /var/log/ui/ui.LATEST
[24996:24996:0506/183311:ERROR:XXX.cc(22)] #0 0x7f4d9b649726 <unknown>
#1 0x7f4d9c271366 <unknown>
#2 0x7f4d9c271ccf <unknown>
#3 0x7f4d9c27192a <unknown>
#4 0x7f4d9c26f8c7 <unknown>
#5 0x7f4da02b0265 <unknown>
#6 0x7f4da02b0680 <unknown>
#7 0x7f4d9b6c9970 <unknown>
#8 0x7f4d9b66acf9 <unknown>
#9 0x7f4d9b66b066 <unknown>
#10 0x7f4d9b66baf7 <unknown>
#11 0x7f4d9b6c7189 <unknown>
#12 0x7f4d9b681e44 <unknown>
#13 0x7f4d9fa308a7 <unknown>
#14 0x7f4d9e2619ec <unknown>
#15 0x7f4d9e0122d5 <unknown>
#16 0x7f4d9e012259 <unknown>
#17 0x7f4d9b5e5e5b <unknown>
#18 0x7f4d9b5e5faf <unknown>
#19 0x7f4d9b5e4499 <unknown>
#20 0x7f4d9b0039cf <unknown>
#21 0x7f4d98af5f70 __libc_start_main
#22 0x7f4d9b003840 <unknown>

Br, DS

Chirantan Ekbote

May 6, 2015, 4:02:32 PM5/6/15
to Dongseong Hwang, Chromium OS dev
If you want debugging features, then you probably don't want to build
--nowithdebug (which I believe remove debugging symbols).

If you're building chrome for chrome os using the simple chrome
workflow (http://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/how-tos-and-troubleshooting/building-chromium-browser)
you should know that deploy_chrome strips out debug symbols by
default. To keep them you need to run deploy_chrome with the --nostrip
option. This will make your binary size really large however and you
might run out of space on the rootfs.

If that happens you have two options. You can either deploy chrome
somewhere in your stateful partition (like /usr/local) and then bind
mount it over the default chrome directory (/opt/google/chrome). The
--target-dir and --mount-dir options for deploy_chrome are the ones
you want for this. The other option is to build your chrome os image
with a bigger rootfs. You can do this by passing
--disk_layout=2gb-rootfs-updatable to build_image and then flashing
the resulting image to your device. This way you won't have to muck
around with bind mounts.
> --

Dongseong Hwang

Dec 5, 2017, 8:38:56 PM12/5/17