Compile ASIX AX88179 driver (Digitus DN-3023 usb to ethernet adaptor) in to Chrome OS Kernel for Samsung Chromebook (arm-version)?

Oleksiy Bobrov

Jun 3, 2013, 10:43:51 AM6/3/13
to chromiu...@chromium.org
Hallo, what is the fast way (at least in general steps) to compile ASIX AX88179 driver (http://www.asix.com.tw/FrootAttach/driver/AX88179_178A_LINUX_DRIVER_v1.2.0_SOURCE.tar.bz2)  in to Chrome OS Kernel for Samsung Chromebook (arm-version)? Thanks for tips in advance.

Best regards
komkon555

ggg

Jun 3, 2013, 1:54:06 PM6/3/13
to chromiu...@chromium.org

On Monday, June 3, 2013 7:43:51 AM UTC-7, Oleksiy Bobrov wrote:
Hallo, what is the fast way (at least in general steps) to compile ASIX AX88179 driver (http://www.asix.com.tw/FrootAttach/driver/AX88179_178A_LINUX_DRIVER_v1.2.0_SOURCE.tar.bz2)  in to Chrome OS Kernel for Samsung Chromebook (arm-version)? Thanks for tips in advance.

There is a way, but no "fastest way". The security of ChromeOS (signed root file system in particular) means it's not possible to add individual kernel modules using the 'factory' installed release. This is a well understood trade-off between security and ability to add new executable (device drivers in this case).

asix driver supports AX88178 devices and is enabled in the 3.4 kernels delivered on all ChromeOS machines.  Chromium.org "kernel-next" repository is now based on 3.8 kernel and this doesn't show any AX88179 support. If ASIX Corp has submitted these changes to netdev mailing list, those can be backported to the chromeos-3.8 branch in kernel-next repository. The first step to setting this in motion is creating a "new issue" (Feature request) at http://crbug.com. Can you please file a "Feature request" at http://crbug.com for Cr-OS-Kernel?

Please reply (via email) with the bug number and I'll update the bug to set things in motion to add AX88179 support into a future release. This might take a few months for official ChromeOS support. It *might* be possible to compile/install a developer "kernel-next" image with AX88179 support in a few weeks if ASIX (or anyone) can point out at the necessary patches for a 3.8 kernel.

For future reference, here are the "Build your own Chromium OS" instructions here:

One a developer image is installed and working (Chromebook is now in developer mode), one can build/install a "custom" kernel-next with AX88179 support once that is committed to kernel-next repository.  It's easiest to follow progress on this once we have an issue in crbug.com.

cheers,
grant

Grant Grundler

Jun 3, 2013, 2:24:38 PM6/3/13
to ggg, Chromium OS dev
On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 10:54 AM, ggg <grun...@chromium.org> wrote:
> asix driver supports AX88178 devices and is enabled in the 3.4 kernels
> delivered on all ChromeOS machines. Chromium.org "kernel-next" repository
> is now based on 3.8 kernel and this doesn't show any AX88179 support. If
> ASIX Corp has submitted these changes to netdev mailing list, those can be
> backported to the chromeos-3.8 branch in kernel-next repository.

Asix posted a new driver in Jan, 2013:
https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/2021771/

and was accepted into netdev (by Dave Miller) for 3.9-rc2 inclusion here:
http://lists.openwall.net/netdev/2013/03/02/6

This should be no problem to include and enable in a future ChromeOS release.

> The first
> step to setting this in motion is creating a "new issue" (Feature request)
> at http://crbug.com. Can you please file a "Feature request" at
> http://crbug.com for Cr-OS-Kernel?

This is still a necessary step. Please take the time to do this.

BTW, this would be a good time to include any other USB ethernet
devices people are using and would like to enable ChromeOS support for
those devices. Please file a new "Issue" for each device and we can
deal with each one on a case-by-case basis.

cheers,
grant

Oleksiy Bobrov

Jun 4, 2013, 3:14:05 AM6/4/13
to chromiu...@chromium.org

On Monday, June 3, 2013 7:54:06 PM UTC+2, ggg wrote:

asix driver supports AX88178 devices and is enabled in the 3.4 kernels delivered on all ChromeOS machines.

 So, I created an Issue  246500 for it (I guess, it was correct). But, what does mean your text above?  Actually I don't have support for AX88178 devices on my stock ChromeOS Kerlnel 3.4. There will be no new network device registered on OS once DG-3023 is connected (controlled with dmesg, ifconfig).

Best Regards
Alex

Grant Grundler

Jun 4, 2013, 2:27:21 PM6/4/13
to Oleksiy Bobrov, Chromium OS dev
On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 12:14 AM, Oleksiy Bobrov <obob...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Monday, June 3, 2013 7:54:06 PM UTC+2, ggg wrote:
>>

>> asix driver supports AX88178 devices and is enabled in the 3.4 kernels
>> delivered on all ChromeOS machines.
>

> So, I created an Issue 246500 for it (I guess, it was correct).

Excellent - thanks! :) I've updated the bug with more information.

> But, what does mean your text above? Actually I don't have support for AX88178
> devices on my stock ChromeOS Kerlnel 3.4.

You certainly do. :) I and all of our test lab is using AX88178 (USB
2.0 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter).

DG-3023 uses AX88179 (USB 3.0) and is based on a different networking chip.

> There will be no new network device registered on OS
> once DG-3023 is connected (controlled with dmesg, ifconfig).

Correct. ChromeOS currently is based on 3.4 kernels and do not have
ax88179_178a driver which knows how to talk to AX88179 devices.

thanks!
grant

ggg

Oct 10, 2013, 1:36:03 PM10/10/13
to chromiu...@chromium.org

On Tuesday, June 4, 2013 12:14:05 AM UTC-7, Oleksiy Bobrov wrote:
 So, I created an Issue  246500 for it (I guess, it was correct).

Just to follow up, chromeos-3.8 branch has a driver for Asix AX88179 USB 3.0 Ethernet adapter and will be the default kernel for most x86 Chromebooks in R31 or R32 (hopefully the rest).

This device appears to work well with USB 2.0 host ports. USB 3.0 host controllers don't appear to be as solid on most machines. So far, we have no problems specific to the AX88179 USB device. Keep that in mind when using USB 3.0 devices (e.g. may require rebooting the machine or unplugging and replugging the device).

thanks for filling the bug!
grant
This conversation is locked