Chromium OS Notebook vs Tablet - UI for forms Date/time pickers, select drop down lists?

Sarath Singapati

Jan 11, 2017, 11:20:49 AM1/11/17
to Chromium OS dev
Hello,

I have few questions regarding User Experience on Chromium OS Notebooks VS Tablets.

The UI for HTML forms <input> element Date / Time pickers, <select> drop down lists, etc. in Desktop Chromium browser and in Chromium OS on Laptop/Notebook are based on HTML implementation.
How is this UI implemented for Chrome OS Tablet variants? Is this HTML based or  Aura Views or something else?

How about the implementation of other Chromium OS UIs (Menus, Scrollbars, Settings UIs, status bar) on Notebook VS. Tablet?

Thank you
Sarath

Daniel Erat

Jan 11, 2017, 4:01:01 PM1/11/17
to Sarath Singapati, Chromium OS dev
https://dev.chromium.org/chromium-os/user-experience/ui-elements is obsolete. It was created in January 2010 and hasn't been updated since then. I've deleted the page since it doesn't seem to have any relevance to what we have now.

https://dev.chromium.org/chromium-os/user-experience/form-factors probably isn't much better (February 2010), but I'll leave it since I don't know the current plans.

I'm not an expert on this, but I believe that convertible Chromebooks use the same underlying UI technology in clamshell and tablet modes (spanning Views, WebUI, Polymer, etc.).

Sarath Singapati

Jan 13, 2017, 4:46:10 AM1/13/17
to Chromium OS dev, s.sin...@gmail.com
Thank you for info. Is clamshell mode and Tablet mode same or different?

I have built the chromium OS image and able to boot from USB flash disk (with instructions from https://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/developer-guide#TOC-Building-Chromium-OS).

After booting chromium OS on Laptop, Is it possible to switch to Tablet mode / clamshell mode somehow?
Is there any configuration to build the OS for Tablet mode directly?
Basically, I would like to see the UX on the Tablet. Also is there any chromium os Tablets at the moment in the market?

Thank you very much!
Sarath

Sarath Singapati

Jan 13, 2017, 5:37:05 AM1/13/17
to Chromium OS dev, s.sin...@gmail.com
I see from http://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/developer-information-for-chrome-os-devices, Convertible Chromebook models switching to tablet mode.

I still would like to know if it is possible to switch modes when booted from USB disk on laptops?

Thank you.

Daniel Erat

Jan 13, 2017, 9:12:27 AM1/13/17
On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 2:46 AM, Sarath Singapati <s.sin...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thank you for info. Is clamshell mode and Tablet mode same or different?

"Clamshell mode" refers to a normal laptop-like configuration, with the hinge open ~90 degrees. "Tablet mode" refers to the hinge being open 360 degrees, with the top panel folded all the way back.

I have built the chromium OS image and able to boot from USB flash disk (with instructions from https://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/developer-guide#TOC-Building-Chromium-OS).

After booting chromium OS on Laptop, Is it possible to switch to Tablet mode / clamshell mode somehow?
Is there any configuration to build the OS for Tablet mode directly?

There might be some flags you can set to force a non-convertible or non-touch device to use the "touchview" UI. These look like they could be relevant, for example:

chrome://flags/#ash-enable-touch-view-testing
chrome://flags/#top-chrome-md

Basically, I would like to see the UX on the Tablet. Also is there any chromium os Tablets at the moment in the market?

There are convertible Chromebooks that support both clamshell/laptop and tablet modes of operation. https://www.google.com/search?q=convertible+chromebooks will probably point you in the right direction.

Jonathan Ross

Jan 13, 2017, 9:51:04 AM1/13/17
to Daniel Erat, Sarath Singapati, Chromium OS dev
There are already several convertible Chromebooks in the market. Those devices will automatically switch modes as a user converts them.

You can test out the mode, you will need to use the flags:
  • chrome://flags/#ash-enable-touch-view-testing
  • chrome://flags/#ash-debug-shortcuts
The transition can then be done via: shift+ctrl+alt+t
This debug mode does leave the keyboard enabled though, so it's not an 100% parallel.

However several other features, like screen rotations, are tied to devices which have accelerometers. Which are not available on all devices.

Regards,
Jon

W.G.

Jan 13, 2017, 1:41:40 PM1/13/17
to Chromium OS dev, de...@chromium.org, s.sin...@gmail.com
Can touchview mode be turned off? I looked in Peter Beverloo's command line switch list and didn't see anything relevant.

It just feels so primitive compared to the latest developments in Android and iOS.

I want the regular desktop when I flip my Flip 2. Hopefully you guys are working on doing away with maximise mode only.

Daniel Erat

Jan 13, 2017, 4:50:53 PM1/13/17
to W.G., Chromium OS dev, Sarath Singapati
This is a development mailing list. There are other places that are better suited for product-oriented discussion:

etc.
This conversation is locked