generate_logs utility for chromeOS

opensource_freak

Aug 10, 2017, 7:23:36 PM8/10/17
to Chromium OS dev
generate_logs was a shell script all the time.
I recently did run my automation on a R61 OS and collecting logs from multiple DUTs using generate_logs failed for my script.
When I checked, it is a C utility now with a nice --output option for collecting logs.

Is it that the generate_logs is going to be this c utility going forward and will it be same for all release/milestone OS for all projects?

Regards
Hara Acharya

Luigi Semenzato

Aug 10, 2017, 7:59:48 PM8/10/17
to opensource_freak, Chromium OS dev
On Thu, Aug 10, 2017 at 4:23 PM, opensource_freak
<hara.a...@gmail.com> wrote:
> generate_logs was a shell script all the time.
> I recently did run my automation on a R61 OS and collecting logs from
> multiple DUTs using generate_logs failed for my script.
> When I checked, it is a C utility now with a nice --output option for
> collecting logs.

Yes, more precisely a C++ utility.

> Is it that the generate_logs is going to be this c utility going forward and
> will it be same for all release/milestone OS for all projects?

We cannot predict the future, but the answer is almost surely "no".
It's likely to remain a C++ utility, but it's also likely to keep
changing to adapt to circumstances, such as new logs being produced,
changing requirements, security improvements, etc.

Cheers

> Regards
> Hara Acharya
>
> --

Hara Acharya

Aug 10, 2017, 10:46:38 PM8/10/17
to Luigi Semenzato, Chromium OS dev
Hi Luigi,
Thanks a lot for the info. My bad...it is c++ utility now.

The best thing is: it gives a nice --output option and hopefully will not change.

Thanks again for the info.
This conversation is locked