Liigu esimese lugemata sõnumi juurde

David Peter

lugemata,
4. juuli 2011, 10:13:3604.07.11
kuni Chromium OS dev
I'm currently experimenting an issue with shell in crosh, it gives me
an 'unknown command'

I've built my first chromiumos last week and I managed to get the dev
mode through the crosh > shell

Yesterday, if i haven't made a mistake (i'm beginner), i've built with
"--withdev" and i've got "/root/.dev_mode" on my usb key, but now
there is not any more shell.
With "ctrl + alt +f12". i can log chronos with my password.

The only difference with last week is that i've grab complete new
sources. Perhaps an issue on this side? But it should be me.
Could you please give some directions to investigate.

I was unable to wake up this old post
https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/group/chromium-os-dev/browse_thread/thread/6b22538d11082e3e/af28fd5adeac6315?hl=en&lnk=gst&q=shell#af28fd5adeac6315

log

lugemata,
6. juuli 2011, 04:24:1506.07.11
kuni Chromium OS dev
Yep, i have the same problem. With new sources (05.07.2011) i can not
run shell, i see message "Unknown command 'shell'".
But on sources by 23.06.2011 i cannot see this message, ann shell
works fine.
My builds are with "--withdev" argument.

How with repo get the oldest source code, checkout by date?

Robert Ginda

lugemata,
6. juuli 2011, 13:18:4206.07.11
kuni log,Chromium OS dev,Arkaitz Ruiz Alvarez
Sounds like it could be fallout from crosbug.com/16648.

Rob.

> --

Arkaitz Ruiz Alvarez

lugemata,
6. juuli 2011, 17:23:2306.07.11
kuni Robert Ginda,log,Chromium OS dev
If you are having problems with this, please check /proc/cmdline for
the string "cros_debug". If this string is not there please make sure
that you are using the last version of src/scripts/build_image and
src/scripts/bin/cros_make_image_bootable to build your developer
images (code includes change
http://gerrit.chromium.org/gerrit/#change,3169).

Let me know if that won't fix the problem.

David Peter

lugemata,
7. juuli 2011, 01:23:4107.07.11
kuni Chromium OS dev
In /proc/cmdline there is not "cros_debug" but "cros_legacy"

Sorry i'm not experimented enough to tell if my scripts are in the
last version.
All i now is that i've made a repo sync, rebuild -> no shell neither
"cros_debug" string in /proc/cmdline.

Maybe a ./make_chroot --replace would be better?

On Jul 6, 2:23 pm, Arkaitz Ruiz Alvarez <arkai...@chromium.org> wrote:
> If you are having problems with this, please check /proc/cmdline for
> the string "cros_debug". If this string is not there please make sure
> that you are using the last version of src/scripts/build_image and
> src/scripts/bin/cros_make_image_bootable to build your developer
> images (code includes changehttp://gerrit.chromium.org/gerrit/#change,3169).
>
> Let me know if that won't fix the problem.
>

> On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 10:18 AM, Robert Ginda <rgi...@chromium.org> wrote:
> > Sounds like it could be fallout from crosbug.com/16648.
>
> > Rob.
>
> > On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 1:24 AM, log <osa....@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Yep, i have the same problem. With new sources (05.07.2011) i can not
> >> run shell, i see message "Unknown command 'shell'".
> >> But on sources by 23.06.2011 i cannot see this message, ann shell
> >> works fine.
> >> My builds are with "--withdev" argument.
>
> >> How with repo get the oldest source code, checkout by date?
>
> >> --

David Peter

lugemata,
8. juuli 2011, 00:12:4708.07.11
kuni Chromium OS dev
A ./make_chroot --replace and a full rebuild doesn't work either.

But I'm lost with, sources, git, repo, I have to learn how to use this
tools before telling you if I'm using the last revision of scripts.
I manage to do what I was expected with the ctrl+alt+f2 login. It's a
not so bad start (adding the realtek RTL8192se wireless driver).

I prefer leave this trhead free for experts to solve crosh shell issue
(if there is really one)
Thanks for all

Chris Sosa

lugemata,
8. juuli 2011, 13:12:3108.07.11
kuni David Peter,Chromium OS dev
Arkaitz found two bugs and he has CL's for both of them to fix today.

Bug 1: USB's and VM's use a different kernel command line than
installed systems and cros_debug wasn't being passed correctly to the
kernel as was for build_image. crosbug.com/17392
Bug 2: Test images overwrote their dev image kernel command lines and
removed cros_debug. crosbug.com/17393

Sorry about the regression.

-Sosa

Jamison Lofthouse

lugemata,
19. märts 2013, 18:43:0419.03.13
kuni chromiu...@chromium.org,petey...@gmail.com
To get crosh to work with the debug commands you have to add the kernel parameters to the boot loader.
  1. Mount sda12 (or your hard drives partition 12), I used a live usb of openSUSE but you can probably try Chromium
  2. Edit 'root.A.cfg': Find 'cros_legacy' and add 'cros_debug' right after 'cros_legacy'
  3. Reboot
  4. Cross your fingers and try 'shell'

Matt Johnson

lugemata,
30. juuli 2013, 22:52:3530.07.13
kuni chromiu...@chromium.org,petey...@gmail.com
Hello Jamison,

I have the same issue and your fix unfortunately didn't work for me. I was wondering if I could trouble you or anyone else reading this for some additional troubleshooting ideas.

Mike Frysinger

lugemata,
31. juuli 2013, 10:08:5331.07.13
kuni Matt Johnson,chromium-os-dev,petey...@gmail.com
you could try editing /efi/boot/grub.cfg in that partition. i think
the syslinux code Jamison referred to is for non-EFI bios-es.
-mike
> --

Matt Johnson

lugemata,
31. juuli 2013, 12:46:4831.07.13
kuni Mike Frysinger,chromium-os-dev,petey...@gmail.com
Thanks for your thought there Mike, unfortunately when I look in there I don't have a cros_legacy anywhere, I do have cros_efi however. Would I insert the cros_debug after that?

On a side note, I went through the rest of the cfg files in the same directory as Jamison's recommendation and inserted the cros_debug after every cros_legacy that I could find to no avail.

If it helps anything, this installation used the Dell release of Chromium OS (the Feb iso, the April iso had to many issues with the touchpad to use) on a Dell Inspiron Mini10. Stock bios.

Is there any information I could relay from my that would help?

Matt Johnson
Skype: matt.johnson405

Richard Barnette

lugemata,
1. aug 2013, 20:48:2801.08.13
kuni Matt Johnson,Mike Frysinger,chromium-os-dev,petey...@gmail.com
On Jul 31, 2013, at 9:46 AM, Matt Johnson <matt.joh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for your thought there Mike, unfortunately when I look in there I don't have a cros_legacy anywhere, I do have cros_efi however. Would I insert the cros_debug after that?
>
> On a side note, I went through the rest of the cfg files in the same directory as Jamison's recommendation and inserted the cros_debug after every cros_legacy that I could find to no avail.
>
> If it helps anything, this installation used the Dell release of Chromium OS (the Feb iso, the April iso had to many issues with the touchpad to use) on a Dell Inspiron Mini10. Stock bios.
>
> Is there any information I could relay from my that would help?

Some older versions of Chromium OS had a bug that if "cros_debug"
were the last thing on the kernel command line, it wouldn't be recognized.
You may need to put the "cros_debug" before something. Other than
that bug, the position of the "cros_debug" argument doesn't matter; only
its presence.

It's possible to determine whether cros_debug is actually on the kernel
command line (and whether it's the last item). Here are the steps:
* Boot Chromium OS to the login screen.
* Log in with a regular account, or as guest.
* Navigate to this URL:
file:///var/log/messages
* Search the page for "Command line" (without the quotes). That should
find the kernel command line.
* If you can't find the kernel command line, it may be that it's been rotated
out of the logs. The easiest way to be sure of finding it is to reboot and
search again.

If the command line looks right, you may have a new, interesting bug.
Otherwise, you'll need to get help from someone who understands how
to change the kernel command line for your boot configuration.
-- jrb

Don Garrett

lugemata,
1. aug 2013, 21:14:3401.08.13
kuni Richard Barnette,Matt Johnson,Mike Frysinger,chromium-os-dev,petey...@gmail.com
To see the command line of the currently booted kernel, you can do:

  cat /proc/cmdline

Don

Matt Johnson

lugemata,
3. aug 2013, 23:36:4603.08.13
kuni Richard Barnette,Mike Frysinger,chromium-os-dev,David Peter
For what it's worth, I ended up using the April Dell Inspiron Mini April image. The shell access issue is corrected but the touchpad is... odd.

I need a USB mouse to get a cursor, stock Dell Inspiron Mini v10. Once a cursor is present on the screen from moving the mouse I can use the touchpad to move it but that's it, clicking left/right is unresponsive.  USB mouse works perfectly though.

Going through the available documentation of synaptics touchpad troubleshooting on Google I came to the point of trying to use the xorg.config.d folder from the Dell Feb. image (what I was previously using because the touchpad was functional overall but had an annoyingly low speed despite the highest setting) to no avail.

Matt Johnson
Skype: matt.johnson405

Pablo Arias

lugemata,
16. okt 2013, 22:26:2316.10.13
kuni chromiu...@chromium.org,Richard Barnette,Mike Frysinger,David Peter
Matt,

I am where you are. Any luck?

Matt Johnson

lugemata,
17. okt 2013, 08:46:4417.10.13
kuni Pablo Arias,David Peter,chromium-os-dev,Richard Barnette,Mike Frysinger

Sadly I gave up on it a while back. To many quirks for me to want to deal with and maintain sanity haha. It's got Ubuntu on it by now.

Sent from my Android device

Pablo Arias

lugemata,
17. okt 2013, 13:09:5117.10.13
kuni Matt Johnson,David Peter,Richard Barnette,chromium-os-dev,Mike Frysinger

I got it working yesterday with the February drop. The April drop the touchpad ducks.

Just had to mount /dev/sda12 and add the cross_dev option there and now shell works. Just FYI

Pablo

Mario Pena

lugemata,
19. aug 2014, 23:00:2619.08.14
kuni chromiu...@chromium.org,matt.joh...@gmail.com,petey...@gmail.com,jrbar...@chromium.org,vap...@chromium.org,pablit...@gmail.com
Need help to do this because my Chromebook will no longer recognize the "shell" command

Mike Frysinger

lugemata,
20. aug 2014, 00:09:1720.08.14
kuni Mario Pena,chromium-os-dev,Matt Johnson,petey...@gmail.com,Richard Barnette,pablit...@gmail.com
if you have an actual chromebook, then this thread doesn't apply to you.  it's only about people running CrOS on non-official chrome os devices.

you need to put your device into dev mode using the documented methods for your specific system:

Kingdom_kid 1212

lugemata,
6. sept 2016, 20:31:5106.09.16
kuni Chromium OS dev,petey...@gmail.com
how do i mount sda12

Hunter

lugemata,
27. okt 2016, 12:43:5127.10.16
kuni Chromium OS dev,petey...@gmail.com

can someone tell me what to do with my chromebook the shell command is unknown

Prathmesh Prabhu Chromium

lugemata,
27. okt 2016, 12:59:3827.10.16
kuni Hunter,Chromium OS dev,petey...@gmail.com
shell is only available in developer mode.
Are you trying to hack on your chromebook (kudos!) in that case, you need to put it in developer mode (https://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/poking-around-your-chrome-os-device) Read the implications of a chromebook being in developer mode before you start.

If you are not going down that path, but just want shell for usual operation that's an explicit non-feature: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chromebook-central/xeHidXO_vV8

On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 9:43 AM Hunter <h.i...@tvcswv.org> wrote:

can someone tell me what to do with my chromebook the shell command is unknown

--

Prathmesh Prabhu Chromium

lugemata,
27. okt 2016, 13:29:0027.10.16
kuni Hunter Ilar,chromiu...@chromium.org
+Chromium OS dev Please keep the list CC'ed. You're much more likely to get your questions answered that way.

There are various people maintaining more-to-less successful projects for running linux on chromebooks. One of the projects that has been mentioned before on this list: https://github.com/dnschneid/crouton

If you're comfortable installing linux on any other hardware, the experience will be similar once you enter developer mode.

On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 10:05 AM Hunter Ilar <h.i...@tvcswv.org> wrote:
Ok can you tell me how to install linux please

Tianji He

lugemata,
19. dets 2017, 23:31:3719.12.17
kuni Chromium OS dev,petey...@gmail.com
Me too. it just says "unknown command" when it should be telling me more than that. i'm on developer mode, & it should be pretty normal on dev mode because of all of the debugging features. on the videos it's fine, but on my chromebook it has that ploblem. What should i do?

beliefless dogmasless

lugemata,
24. jaan 2018, 12:25:4024.01.18
kuni Chromium OS dev,petey...@gmail.com
I guess there is not too much difference between ChromeOs and Chromium:

Replaces Crosh with Bash:
In the Shell:
cd /usr/bin;sudo sed -i.bak '' crosh;sudo sed -i '$ i exec /bin/bash --login "$@"' crosh
Vasta kõigile