Bluetooth "undefined" on Connection & random disconnect on ChromeOS

Myke Predko

Aug 15, 2016, 11:27:56 AM8/15/16
to Chromium OS dev
Heya,

I've been having some problems with Bluetooth Support my Chrome App ("Jade Support" - which can be found here: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/jade-support/gchcbahadlpkgkpenlkfgdgkdjedepod?hl=en) when running on Chromebook (Chrome OS).  The app runs fine on Windows machines, as well as Macs (with the exception that you can't look up devices on Mac, as the APIs are not available in OS 10).

But, in the Chromebooks (I'm using Acer CB3-111, Dual Core Celeron, 2.16GHz, 2 GB DDR & 16 GB SSD), I have two issues:
1.  When a Chromebook is linking to a device, after startup, I always get an "undefined" error.  In trying to see what the problem and going through the Chrome.Bluetoothsocket.connect API, I can see a more meaningful error in the connect object but that isn't making it back to the app.  I suspect that this issue is due to system resources being exhausted.
2.  When there are multiple Chromebooks, the connection drops randomly (and often) without any message being passed to the app.  Sometimes you can simply close the app, restart it and reconnect, but most times, a system shut down is required and the process repeated.  When there is one Chromebook, it seems to stay connected indefinitely.  When I have more than one, the spontaneous disconnect happens with the frequency increasing with the number of devices connected.  I'm not sure what the issue is here, but if I were a betting man, I'm thinking there's a problem with the BT device driver when there are unexpected traffic (ie WiFi) on the channel being used by Bluetooth.

In the Chromebooks, I'm running:
- Chrome Version: 52.0.2743.116 (64-bit)
- Platform: 8350.69.0 (Official Build) stable-channel gnarty
- Firmware: Google_Gnawty.5216.239.34

Any ideas, or should I put in one or two bugs for these issues?  Also, should I be trying to create a simple app to demonstrate this issue?

Thanx,

myke
This conversation is locked