PSA: run_remote_tests.sh is finally going away

Christopher Wiley

May 19, 2015, 2:39:05 PM5/19/15
to chromiu...@chromium.org
If you don't use run_remote_tests.sh, you can stop reading now.

This script has been deprecated for about a year and is no longer supported by the infrastructure team.  Over the last few days I've swept the code base for references to run_remote_test and the last stragglers should go away this week.  test_that supports the majority of the use cases for run_remote_tests (and much more!).

If you still depend on run_remote_tests.sh, do send me mail.

wiley

Joseph Sussman

May 19, 2015, 3:12:33 PM5/19/15
to Christopher Wiley, chromiu...@chromium.org
My typical use case for run_remote_tests.sh looks like this:

(chroot)$ ./run_remote_tests.sh --board=${BOARD} --build --remote=localhost --ssh_port 9222 suite:foo

...the key ingredient being the --build option that tells run_remote_test.sh to use local sources instead of having to rebuild autotest-tests or individual tests therein. It is useful for rapid iteration when writing tests. My question is: what would the new supported workflow be for rapid test development? I got the aforementioned command line from this doc:

Thanks!
Joe

Chris Sosa

May 19, 2015, 3:30:28 PM5/19/15
to Joseph Sussman, Christopher Wiley, chromiu...@chromium.org
Check out the doc wiley sent out linking to test_that documentation. The key bit was:

  • Running emerge after python-only test changes is no longer necessary. test_that uses autotest_quickmerge to copy your python changes to the sysroot.
Since this is true, --build is no longer necessary.

-Sosa
This conversation is locked