Some changes "Cannot merge" in gerrit

Waldemar Rymarkiewicz

Dec 2, 2016, 6:17:54 AM12/2/16
to Chromium OS dev
Hi,

I am trying to push below changes upstream, but I see in gerrit that 3 of them "Cannot Merge"  I don't get where the problem is and how to solve it?

This is the right order of merge (all depends on each other)

https://chromium-review.googlesource.com/#/c/340971/
https://chromium-review.googlesource.com/#/c/340972/
https://chromium-review.googlesource.com/#/c/340974/
https://chromium-review.googlesource.com/#/c/359530/
https://chromium-review.googlesource.com/#/c/359531/

I see parent pointers point to the right change, but how to submit all together to commit queue ?

Anyone could explain?

Thanks,
/Waldek

Mike Frysinger

Dec 2, 2016, 10:03:44 AM12/2/16
to Waldemar Rymarkiewicz, Chromium OS dev
you have to look at the whole line and not just part of it.  the whole line says:
Strategy Cherry Pick Cannot Merge

that means gerrit is telling you what would happen if it was submitted using cherry picking.

in your case, it doesn't really matter because you've set up the parents correctly, and because you wouldn't be submitting yourself.  you'd set CQ+1 and the bots would make sure to land in the correct order -- they handle gerrit deps/parents sanely.
-mike

Waldemar Rymarkiewicz

Dec 2, 2016, 10:46:49 AM12/2/16
to Mike Frysinger, Chromium OS dev
Many thanks for clarification.

Purely theoretically, how to setup dependency if I have changes in
different projects that should be merged together? Is that possible?

Thanks
/Waldek
> ---
> "Chromium OS dev" group.
> email to chromium-os-d...@chromium.org.

Mike Frysinger

Dec 2, 2016, 11:00:12 AM12/2/16
to Waldemar Rymarkiewicz, Chromium OS dev
This conversation is locked