Anyone with gmail.com account can create revert CLs on gerrit.

Tomasz Mikolajewski

Oct 10, 2016, 8:43:18 PM10/10/16
to Chromium OS dev
Hi folks,

Recently I noticed plenty of random revert CLs on gerrit, and none of them made any sense. I checked and anyone logged to gerrit has permissions to reply, create cherry pick and revert CLs.

While this is not really harmful, it's quite annoying. I'm receiving random revert CLs to review regularly.

Can we restrict those features to project members?

Cheers,
Tomasz

Mike Frysinger

Oct 10, 2016, 9:34:31 PM10/10/16
to Tomasz Mikolajewski, chromium-os-dev
I don't think it makes sense to restrict this. the reverts don't actually land, so it's not like they cause problems for the build. remember that publishing the revert CL is really no different than doing a local revert and uploading that CL.

if you see an account abusing things (like spamming nonsense CLs), then we can talk to admins and get that account banned.
-mike

David Hendricks

Oct 12, 2016, 3:38:02 PM10/12/16
to Mike Frysinger, Tomasz Mikolajewski, chromium-os-dev
On Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 6:34 PM, Mike Frysinger <vap...@chromium.org> wrote:
I don't think it makes sense to restrict this. the reverts don't actually land, so it's not like they cause problems for the build. remember that publishing the revert CL is really no different than doing a local revert and uploading that CL.

Uploading a new patch requires credentials though, right?

As for commenting, cherry-picking, and reverting, I suspect those are left open so that partners don't have to go thru a long process for one of their employees to make a small comment on a patch or cherry-pick/revert (especially in the factory). It would probably also be a maintenance nightmare on our end to keep the list of project contributors up to date with everybody who might need to do one of those three actions.

On Oct 10, 2016 20:43, "Tomasz Mikolajewski" <mto...@chromium.org> wrote:
Hi folks,

Recently I noticed plenty of random revert CLs on gerrit, and none of them made any sense. I checked and anyone logged to gerrit has permissions to reply, create cherry pick and revert CLs.

While this is not really harmful, it's quite annoying. I'm receiving random revert CLs to review regularly.

Can we restrict those features to project members?

Cheers,
Tomasz

David Hendricks (dhendrix)
Systems Software Engineer, Google Inc.

Mike Frysinger

Oct 12, 2016, 3:48:18 PM10/12/16
to David Hendricks, Tomasz Mikolajewski, chromium-os-dev
On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 3:37 PM, David Hendricks <dhen...@google.com> wrote:
On Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 6:34 PM, Mike Frysinger <vap...@chromium.org> wrote:
I don't think it makes sense to restrict this. the reverts don't actually land, so it's not like they cause problems for the build. remember that publishing the revert CL is really no different than doing a local revert and uploading that CL.

Uploading a new patch requires credentials though, right?

only the same credentials as logging in to Gerrit in the first place.  namely, anyone can do it.

As for commenting, cherry-picking, and reverting, I suspect those are left open so that partners don't have to go thru a long process for one of their employees to make a small comment on a patch or cherry-pick/revert (especially in the factory). It would probably also be a maintenance nightmare on our end to keep the list of project contributors up to date with everybody who might need to do one of those three actions.

we've had contributions from external people as well who are def not partners.  not many, but it has happened.  for some projects, the number is even higher as the projects are more widely used by other open source groups (projects under the Chromium umbrella rather than just Chromium OS actively come to mind).  like breakpad or lss, both of which Chromium and Chromium OS, or hterm (used by crosh and SecureShell and more).

raising the bar for contributions sounds like the opposite of what we want to be encouraging.  if anything, i really wish we'd get more external contributors and make it easier for Chromium OS to be used/developed.
-mike
This conversation is locked