Why doesn't CrOS have a hostname?

Zentaro Kavanagh

Oct 19, 2017, 1:11:01 PM10/19/17
to chromiu...@chromium.org
Was the reason that CrOS doesn't have a hostname just that it we didn't think it was needed and just KISS?

Or were there technical reasons why we intentionally don't allow it to have a hostname?

If there were no technical reasons, would we be open making it optionally settable?

It always frustrates me that on a router/switch you can't tell which Chromebooks are which from the DHCP leases unless you maintain your own mapping to a MAC address. I imagine it must be even more frustrating in a large enterprise with lots of them.

Even most network connected consumer electronics (tv/roku/etc) let you set the hostname for this reason even though they don't need it for any technical reason.

Kevin Cernekee

Oct 19, 2017, 1:37:50 PM10/19/17
to Zentaro Kavanagh, chromium-os-dev

Steven Bennetts

Oct 19, 2017, 1:47:44 PM10/19/17
to Zentaro Kavanagh, Chromium OS dev

Bill Spurlin

Jul 7, 2019, 11:05:35 PM7/7/19
to Chromium OS Development, zen...@google.com
I was able to get my Chromium OS (cloudready 74.4.58 (Developer Build - neverware) stable-channel chromeover64) device to have a hostname and send the hostname via dhcp/ddns to update my local zone file.  Steps:

1.  Make the root partition read-write, i. e. "mount -o remount,rw /" as root.
3. Create a file, e. g.  /etc/chromium/policies/managed/1.policy with the extension "policy" and contents:
{
     "DeviceHostnameTemplate": "<your hostname>"
}
4.  Test the policy with chrome://policy
5.  Create a file /etc/hostname with contents <your hostname> .
6.  Append the line "hostname -F /etc/hostname" to /usr/share/cros/init/shill-pre-start.sh .
7.  Restart,   you may see a "chronos@<your hostname> at a crosh->shell prompt, and on your dhcp server (ISC) you will see your hostname in the output of "dhcp-lease-list"

Hope this works for you.