Problem booting chromiumos and changing sudoers

adam kearn

Feb 13, 2018, 7:45:54 AM2/13/18
to Chromium OS dev
Hey everyone,

I am working on a project at my school (with the IT technicians), to download the chromiumos source code, and change the boot logo to our schools one.
I have made several attempts my self to get this to work, but when booting the USB it gets stuck on a 'GRUB' screen saying 'local image A' etc. I have tried all the options listed on that menu but none of them work.  I think it might be something with the 'sudoers' because when trying to change them I always get this error

adam@chromiumserver:~$ cd /tmp
adam@chromiumserver:/tmp$ cat > ./sudo_editor <<EOF
>#!/bin/sh
>echo Defaults \!tty_tickets > \$1
>echo Defaults timestamp_timeout=180 >> \$1
>EOF
adam@chromiumserver:/tmp$ chmod +x ./sudo_editor
adam@chromiumserver:/tmp$ sudo EDITOR=./sudo_editor visudo -f /etc/sudoers.d/relax_requirements
visudo: /etc/sudoers.d/relax_requirements.tmp unchanged

here is a screenshot of the same thing above

also, this is the 'GRUB' screen I was talking about above (sorry for the poor image quality)

If anyone could get back to me as soon as posable it would mean a lot, as we need to get this finished soon for our school.

thanks.

Keith I Myers

Feb 13, 2018, 7:57:25 AM2/13/18
to adam kearn, Chromium OS dev
Can you upload the .img file and I will test it here

Will Smith

Feb 13, 2018, 9:12:51 AM2/13/18
to Keith I Myers, adam kearn, Chromium OS dev
Yep ill be happy to test if you upload, it is probably something to do with the hardware you are booting on. If i remember correctly its a ryzen device?

James Smith

Feb 13, 2018, 9:21:13 AM2/13/18
to Chromium OS dev, keithiok...@gmail.com, adamk...@gmail.com
yeah sure I can upload the .img file, but where is it located
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to chromium-os-d...@chromium.org.

James Smith

Feb 13, 2018, 9:23:09 AM2/13/18
to Chromium OS dev, keithiok...@gmail.com, adamk...@gmail.com
and yeah I'm building it on a ryzen CPU 16gb of RAM but I want to run it on an HP DC 7800

Keith I Myers

Feb 13, 2018, 9:54:49 AM2/13/18
to James Smith, Chromium OS dev
Hello James,
The image can be found at - {chromiumOSBuildSourceDirectory}/src/build/images/amd64-generic/{Build_String}/chromiumos_test_image.bin
Replace the  {chromiumOSBuildSourceDirectory} with the directory that contains the chroot and the  {Build_String} with the latest value you see in there.

It can (and likely should) be done outside of the chroot

If you dont see the test image, re-run the build_image script with the "test" flag to generate it. This will allow terminal access for debugging.

./build_image --board=${BOARD} dev base test  --noenable_rootfs_verification

James Smith

Feb 13, 2018, 10:25:36 AM2/13/18
to Chromium OS dev
Ok when I get back home I’ll upload it to google drive and share it with you.

James Smith

Feb 13, 2018, 5:17:21 PM2/13/18
to Chromium OS dev
Ok sorry for the long delay here is the link to the file, I uploaded it to my google drive

James Smith

Feb 14, 2018, 7:50:29 AM2/14/18
to Chromium OS dev, adamk...@gmail.com
were you able to download the file to test?

Keith I Myers

Feb 14, 2018, 9:58:18 AM2/14/18
to Chromium OS dev, adamk...@gmail.com
Downloading now. I was not able to test as a Transformer blew outside my house yesterday - Thanks Florida Power and Light)

Keith I Myers

Feb 14, 2018, 10:47:03 AM2/14/18
to Chromium OS dev, adam kearn
Good Morning James,
It seems to be working with the image provided. It does seem that you need to set your API Keys but it does indeed work.

Keith I Myers
https://Technical.chat - a Forum for All Things Tech

James Smith

Feb 14, 2018, 1:43:38 PM2/14/18
to Chromium OS dev, adamk...@gmail.com
Ok so it does work then, that's good to know.

I was wrong I don't have a hp dc7800

It was an HP dc5850

here is my BIOS

How would I update the BIOS for this
https://Technical.chat - a Forum for All Things Tech

Keith I Myers

Feb 14, 2018, 1:54:11 PM2/14/18
to James Smith, Chromium OS dev

James Smith

Feb 14, 2018, 2:19:46 PM2/14/18
to Chromium OS dev, adamk...@gmail.com
I can't find the link to download them on the HP website

What computer were you using that it worked on?

Keith I Myers

Feb 14, 2018, 3:11:53 PM2/14/18
to James Smith, Chromium OS dev
Change the OS to Windows and use a Windows Device to create the update USB Drive/CD.

James Smith

Feb 14, 2018, 6:27:01 PM2/14/18
to Chromium OS dev, adamk...@gmail.com
Ok so I used the Chromebook utility thing to burn the .bin file to my USB and it still wouldn't boot
I got the BIOS to upgrade and I checked the version in the settings and it was the right.

When I boot the USB I just get a message saying that there was no OS on the drive.

What computer are you using when u tested my image?

Will Smith

Feb 15, 2018, 7:41:46 AM2/15/18
to James Smith, Chromium OS dev
Have you tried Flint OS or Cloudready on the dc5850? Maybe worth doing as they include extra drivers/modifications.

If they boot ok this is likely going to be a lot more complex than changing the boot animation :(.

James Smith

Feb 15, 2018, 11:10:12 AM2/15/18
to Chromium OS dev, adamk...@gmail.com
GOOD NEWS, Ok so I downloaded both Flint OS and Neverware and...... Neverware worked but Flint OS didn't there for it must be something with the drivers.
How could I add them to my build?

Keith I Myers

Feb 15, 2018, 2:09:56 PM2/15/18
to Chromium OS dev, adamk...@gmail.com
I tested your image on a System76 Kudu Pro (2016) and a 2015 Dell XPS 13 - Both intel machines. I dont have any AMD machines in my collection so I cannot test with that.

James Smith

Feb 15, 2018, 3:04:13 PM2/15/18
to Chromium OS dev, adamk...@gmail.com
OK EVEN BETTER NEWS THAN LAST TIME............. I GOT IT WORKING

So nearly all the computers in my house are AMD but I found an old Intel laptop (it was 2014-15 I think) with a broken screen and tried booting it off that and it booted.
Can't say how happy I am now, as I have been trying this for ages now. LOL the computers at school are old dell's and i'm 99% sure they are Intel as well so what I'll do is update the BIOS on them and try booting it.
I'm off school until Monday so ill get back to you if it works.

Thanks for all your help guys. :)

James Smith

Feb 15, 2018, 3:08:20 PM2/15/18
to Chromium OS dev, adamk...@gmail.com

Here is it booted on the old Intel laptop I have.

James Smith

Feb 15, 2018, 5:05:59 PM2/15/18
to Chromium OS dev, adamk...@gmail.com
Would like to know why my "amd64" build won't boot on an AMD computer but will on intel?

Mike Frysinger

Feb 15, 2018, 5:23:32 PM2/15/18
to James Smith, Chromium OS dev
"amd64" is just the architecture name for x86-64 before Intel copied AMD.  at this point, it is specific to neither.

James Smith

Feb 16, 2018, 11:33:13 AM2/16/18
to Chromium OS dev, adamk...@gmail.com
Ohh thats interesting to know.

So were dose Neverware gets its drivers? Because there image works on my amd computer but my image only works on Intel.

Mn Zc

Feb 16, 2018, 2:35:02 PM2/16/18
to James Smith, Chromium OS dev

.

ในวันที่ ศ. 16 ก.พ. 2018 23:33 James Smith <adamk...@gmail.com> เขียนว่า:

James Smith

Feb 19, 2018, 3:25:16 PM2/19/18
to Chromium OS dev, adamk...@gmail.com
Hey, Keith Myers, could you have a look at this post I made. You are good at this sort of thing

Keith I Myers

Feb 19, 2018, 3:29:52 PM2/19/18
to James Smith, Chromium OS dev
I am flattered but still learning myself. I am stretched a bit thin this week with some family in town but I will see if I can setup a new chroot and try setting the API keys in a new build to see if I can replicate your issue.

James Smith

Feb 19, 2018, 5:53:09 PM2/19/18
to Chromium OS dev
Ok thanks. I was doing some googling and I found out that to make changes to your own build of chromium You need to change the files in the "chrome-overlays" folder I'm not sure if that is right and I don't want to brake it as I have only just got it working. LOL

James Smith

Mar 7, 2018, 4:37:56 PM3/7/18
to Chromium OS dev
Hey Keith, were you able to get chroot setup?
This conversation is locked