Suggestions for: disk-format#TOC-Changing-the-kernel-command-line

Marc Herbert

Feb 26, 2015, 3:58:52 PM2/26/15
to chromiu...@chromium.org
Hi,

1. Just before the last line where the kernel partition is destr... replaced with kernel.new, suggest running this command as a last minute sanity check:
  butil_kernel --verify /tmp/kernel.new --verbose

2. I'm under the impression that this section requires running this first?

  /usr/share/vboot/bin/make_dev_ssd.sh --remove_rootfs_verification --partitions 2

If this is indeed required then it should be mentioned.

Cheers,

Marc

PS: NOT a suggestion for the page but replacing kernel.old with a more direct /dev/sdb2 does not seem to cause any problem.

Marc Herbert

Feb 26, 2015, 4:03:10 PM2/26/15
to chromiu...@chromium.org
Third suggestion: rephrase slightly this sentence:

"For the recovery kernel on a removeable device <private_key> above is recovery_kernel_data_key.vbprivk and for the main kernel on the hard drive the<private_key> is kernel_data_key.vbprivk."

... since it leaves unclear the case of: a main kernel on a removable device.

Generally speaking, I find the correctness of this section to matter more than usual since the penalty for most mistakes is quite big (not booting!)

Mike Frysinger

Feb 27, 2015, 2:49:36 AM2/27/15
to Marc Herbert, chromium-os-dev
i've added (1) now

iiuc, (2) is merely a shortcut to editing the kernel command line such that rootfs verification is disabled.  that's orthogonal to modifying the kernel command line yourself.
-mike

Hung-Te Lin

Feb 27, 2015, 3:05:32 AM2/27/15
to Marc Herbert, Chromium OS dev
No, you don't need to call make_dev_ssd before changing kernel.

However, make_dev_ssd itself supports changing kernel command line on-the-fly.
See the --save_config and --set_config options.

Marc Herbert

Feb 27, 2015, 1:24:45 PM2/27/15
to Mike Frysinger, chromium-os-dev

i've added (1) now

1. Thanks Mike! However I'm afraid you've added this line just one step too early :-(

2.. I did not realize about make_dev_ssd "config" features, thanks Hung-Te, will try them ASAP. Isn't this feature overlap another, completely different reason to briefly mention make_dev_ssd  in the same page?

3. Any comment about suggestion (3) in my other email? Maybe just drop "removeable device" and "hard drive" from the sentence.

Cheers,

Marc

Mike Frysinger

Feb 27, 2015, 1:32:34 PM2/27/15
to Marc Herbert, chromium-os-dev
(1) should be fixed up, thanks
-mike

Marc Herbert

Feb 27, 2015, 4:17:27 PM2/27/15
to chromiu...@chromium.org, marc.h...@gmail.com
On Friday, 27 February 2015 00:05:32 UTC-8, Hung-Te Lin wrote:
No, you don't need to call make_dev_ssd before changing kernel.

OK, I think I got where my confusion came from: when used on a USB stick, make_dev_ssd switches it from recovery key to "main kernel" key. Correct?

Since I did not know about this key switch I was always using the same --signprivate "main kernel" key, so changing the kernel config with vbutil_kernel was only working after I used make_dev_ssd and switched key.

At least that's what vbutil_kernel --verify kernel.new seems to tell me.

However, make_dev_ssd itself supports changing kernel command line on-the-fly.
See the --save_config and --set_config options.

... and it's faster and much less error-prone than vbutil_kernel, thanks again. I probably won't look again at this page I was making suggestions for.

Marc.

Bill Richardson

Feb 27, 2015, 4:23:03 PM2/27/15
On Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 1:17 PM, Marc Herbert <marc.h...@gmail.com> wrote:
OK, I think I got where my confusion came from: when used on a USB stick, make_dev_ssd switches it from recovery key to "main kernel" key. Correct?

​Unless you give it the --recovery_key ​arg, yes.

--
Art for Art's Sake
Engineering for Money

Marc Herbert

Hung-Te Lin

Apr 23, 2015, 12:05:32 AM4/23/15
to Marc Herbert, Chromium OS dev
FYI I've just merged a new option --edit_config so editing-in-place should be easier than ever.

Marc Herbert

May 8, 2015, 2:03:32 PM5/8/15
On Wednesday, April 22, 2015 at 9:05:32 PM UTC-7, Hung-Te Lin wrote:
FYI I've just merged a new option --edit_config so editing-in-place should be easier than ever.

I love this, thank you!

This conversation is locked