How to access logs for a build started by CQ

Waldemar Rymarkiewicz

Sep 16, 2016, 4:26:15 AM9/16/16
to Chromium OS dev, Mike Frysinger
Hi,

I have relatively trivial CL which cannot pass CQ due to some build errors.

How can I access build logs to verify it that was caused by my change?
I see the link in gerrit e.g.
https://uberchromegw.corp.google.com/i/chromeos/builders/veyron_minnie-paladin/builds/401
but seems like only Googlers can access (?)

Cheers,
/Waldek

Richard Barnette

Sep 16, 2016, 10:36:17 AM9/16/16
to Waldemar Rymarkiewicz, Chromium OS dev, Mike Frysinger
Oh, <sigh>

I think getting you access is hard. :-(
It's been my sad duty to monitor the CQ failures this week.
I remember seeing your CL on some of the failures. Every
failure I looked at, I ruled your CL out as a possible
cause. Looking more closely, I still stand by that assessment:
I think you've just been unlucky.

Looking at the last failure, I see this message:

The following build(s) failed:
veyron_minnie-paladin: The HWTest [arc-bvt-cq] stage failed: ** HWTest failed (code 1) ** in https://uberchromegw.corp.google.com/i/chromeos/builders/veyron_minnie-paladin/builds/401
This failure was probably caused by your change.

The automated diagnosis from this message is almost certainly
wrong. The failure in "veyron_minnie" was an ARC++ (Android)
specific test failure on an image that had been successfully
built. Your change, if it's going to cause problems at all,
should cause images not to build, rather than causing post-build
test failures. Moreover, your change successfully made it
through at least one build that passed that test.

So, your best bet is to keep clicking "+1 Ready", and cross
your fingers for good luck.

> Cheers,
> /Waldek
>
> --

Waldemar Rymarkiewicz

Sep 16, 2016, 12:30:01 PM9/16/16
to Richard Barnette, Chromium OS dev, Mike Frysinger
> Oh, <sigh>
>
> I think getting you access is hard. :-(
> It's been my sad duty to monitor the CQ failures this week.
> I remember seeing your CL on some of the failures. Every
> failure I looked at, I ruled your CL out as a possible
> cause. Looking more closely, I still stand by that assessment:
> I think you've just been unlucky.

I guess so. The change is trivial and pretty harmless, so I cannot
believe it can be the issue.

> So, your best bet is to keep clicking "+1 Ready", and cross
> your fingers for good luck.

The only thing I can do. Anyway good to know that someone is looking on this.

David James

Sep 16, 2016, 7:04:44 PM9/16/16
to Waldemar Rymarkiewicz, Richard Barnette, Mike Frysinger, Chromium OS dev
Given that only Googlers can look at the CQ results, doesn't it make sense to lock down the +1 Ready bit to Googlers as well?

Seems like a Googler should be helping you get your change through the queue (so that they can examine the errors and verify your patch is not at fault)

Mike Frysinger

Sep 17, 2016, 11:02:35 PM9/17/16
to David James, Waldemar Rymarkiewicz, Richard Barnette, Chromium OS dev
On Fri, Sep 16, 2016 at 7:04 PM, David James <david...@google.com> wrote:

that's a lot of excess work for Googlers with no upside that i can see.  the need for failures to be checked directly is uncommon overall, and easily rectified: they ask on the CL for someone to scrape the log.
-mike
This conversation is locked