chromeos/policy/proto repository synchronization

Vincent Palatin

Jun 21, 2017, 11:17:48 AM6/21/17
to Chromium OS dev
Hi,

I have submitted a *Chrome* CL adding a new device policy,

AFAIK I have to update the chromeos-base/protofiles ebuild to get the updated proto files / generated proto header in the Chrome OS chroot.

the components/policy.git repo looks fine and has the matching chunk of my CL :

while the chromeos/policy/proto.git repo looks stale, stuck 4 months ago:

So I have no idea what to put as new hashes in the EGIT_REPO_URIS of the ebuild.
I'm not sure I understand how those repositories are updated, the ebuild alludes they are 'read-only', so I imagine they are somehow cloned from the main chromium/src.git repo ?
Does somebody have more clues than me on this topic ?

Thanks,
--
Vincent

Mike Frysinger

Jun 21, 2017, 1:40:29 PM6/21/17
to Vincent Palatin, Chromium OS dev
the sub-git repos are automatically updated.  if one is not being updated, you'll want to file an infra bug for the c-i-t guys to investigate.  use the Infra-Git template.

in this case, it does look like that is not updating anymore:

Vincent Palatin

Jun 21, 2017, 3:02:21 PM6/21/17
to Mike Frysinger, Chromium OS dev
I have filed crbug.com/735591

lju...@chromium.org

Jun 22, 2017, 6:19:46 PM6/22/17
to Chromium OS dev, vap...@chromium.org
If you uprev device policy in protofiles, you'll have to make a parallel change in platform2/authpolicy/policy/device_policy_encoder.cc to add the new policies or else the unit test will break. It should be straight-forward in most cases (2 lines per policy). Let me know if you need help.

Background: This code encodes a registry_dict into a protobuf while fetching GPO from an Active Directory server (for a new feature called Chromad). For user policy there's a 1:1 match between the registry format and the protobuf, so that conversion is automated. For device policy this is not the case, unfortunately, and hand-crafted code required.

- Lutz
This conversation is locked