How to launch browser in DUT remotely?

Sukumar Ghorai

Feb 12, 2016, 1:31:12 AM2/12/16
to Chromium OS dev
I need to launch the browser remotely for some testing.
E.g. I have connected to Chromebook(test device) using ssh session and like to send command (using ssh) to the device to launch the browser in Device.

Anyone like to share the script or procedure?

Thx & rgds,
Sukumar

Dan Shi

Feb 12, 2016, 1:33:49 AM2/12/16
to Sukumar Ghorai, Chromium OS dev

Sukumar Ghorai

Feb 12, 2016, 2:04:40 AM2/12/16
to Chromium OS dev, sukumar...@gmail.com
i have coped this script in DUT.
how to launch this script remotely(from host) and locally/DUT?
[ I am new to chrome ]

Thx & rgds,
Sukumar

Dan Shi

Feb 12, 2016, 2:14:18 AM2/12/16
to Sukumar Ghorai, Chromium OS dev
You will need some autotest client side package to run the test manually. The easiest way is to run test_that of that test inside chroot.

reference for test_that:

Sukumar Ghorai

Feb 12, 2016, 3:12:23 AM2/12/16
to Chromium OS dev, sukumar...@gmail.com
Looks, I need the code base and Host based test bench.
moreover, this test bench internally using the command to launch the apps/browser.

I need to avoid the dependency on chrome test bench.
Can anyone help me to understand how its launch the apps/browser from host?

Dan Shi

Feb 12, 2016, 3:17:26 AM2/12/16
to Sukumar Ghorai, Chromium OS dev
I think we need to step back a bit.

What's your test environement setup?
Are you using Autotest to run the test in the dut? Or you are writing some standalone script to kick off some test running in the dut.
Starting browser is simple, but what do you mean by launch app? Will that be as simple as an url or you have to start the browser with some special arguments?

I will recommend to run some simple test with test_that inside chroot. It's much easier for you to focus on test logic, rather than spend a lot of time on figuring out how to login ChromeOS and interact with the browser.

Sukumar Ghorai

Feb 12, 2016, 4:17:22 AM2/12/16
to Chromium OS dev, sukumar...@gmail.com
thx for your feedback here.
I need to develop an standard alone script.. i can connect to the DUT/ChromeOS over ssh.
please share the command to launch the browser, mostly that command will work over ssh!

Achuith Bhandarkar

Feb 12, 2016, 5:23:13 AM2/12/16
to Sukumar Ghorai, Chromium OS dev, telemetry
You can checkout catapult.

bin/run_tests --browser=cros-chrome --remote=<device_ip> testBrowserCreation should do what you're looking for.

Sukumar Ghorai

Feb 12, 2016, 6:15:10 AM2/12/16
to Chromium OS dev, sukumar...@gmail.com, tele...@chromium.org
For example, for android we used command to launch the browser : am start -xxxx -n com.android.chrome/com.google.android.apps.chrome.Main -d index.html
I am looking similar command for ChomeOS.

I dont have repo for ChromeOS test bench.

Sukumar Ghorai

Feb 21, 2016, 11:18:57 PM2/21/16
to Chromium OS dev, sukumar...@gmail.com, tele...@chromium.org
Hi Achuit,
we can copy telemetry and perf directories to DUT.
and can I launch/start the test/broser from DUT's shell?

Sukumar Ghorai

Feb 22, 2016, 1:18:40 AM2/22/16
to Chromium OS dev, sukumar...@gmail.com, tele...@chromium.org
$:~/work/catapult/catapult$ ./bin/run_tests --browser=cros-chrome --remote=10.223.107.11 testBrowserCreation
usage: run_tests [-h] [--chrome_path CHROME_PATH]
run_tests: error: unrecognized arguments: --browser=cros-chrome --remote=10.223.107.11 testBrowserCreation

Achuith Bhandarkar

Feb 22, 2016, 5:58:30 AM2/22/16
to Sukumar Ghorai, Chromium OS dev, telemetry
Do you have a test image on your DUT? catapult is at /usr/local/telemetry/src/third_party/catapult/ on the DUT if you have a test image. The invocation on the DUT should be
catapult/telemetry/bin/run_tests --browser=system testBrowserCreation
This conversation is locked