[PSA] wget dropping from rootfs (moving to dev/test only images)

Mike Frysinger

Nov 6, 2017, 1:49:23 PM11/6/17
to chromium-os-dev
wget has been in our rootfs for some time only because of Chrome itself -- back when it took care of uploading its own crash reports, it did so using wget.  since Chrome no longer does that (it hands crashes to the system crash reporter which uses curl), there's no need for Chrome to depend on wget.  so we're fixing that.

in practice, this means that wget is no longer installed into the rootfs because nothing else depends on it.  i've gone through cs/ and can't find any references outside of dev/test code.  for those, i've added wget to the dev/test image.

this scenario is not uncommon ... jetstream boards haven't shipped wget in the rootfs, and only made it available to dev/test images.

if anyone is aware of wget usage from the rootfs, please note it on https://crbug.com/781538 so we can get it migrated to curl.
-mike
This conversation is locked