simplechrome fails with occupying /tmp.

Hidehiko Abe

Dec 8, 2017, 6:44:26 AM12/8/17
to Chromium OS dev
Hi all,

Today, during the chrome build via simplechrome,
I hit chrome link failure due to out of disk.
Looking at disk, /tmp was filled by tons of lto-llvm-${HASH}.o files.

The work around was setting TMPDIR to some disk with enough free space.

The total file size was about 18G.

Is there any change related to this?
Also, even if this is intentional, can we revert it temporarily for a short term fix,
until the problem is addressed...?

Best regards,
- hidehiko

Yunlian Jiang

Dec 8, 2017, 10:17:34 AM12/8/17
to Hidehiko Abe, Chromium OS dev
Are you building it with caroline or terra board?
If this is the case, it is because we enabled Thinlto recently.

This patch
should fix it.

Hidehiko Abe

Dec 8, 2017, 10:36:27 AM12/8/17
to Yunlian Jiang, Chromium OS dev
On Sat, Dec 9, 2017 at 12:17 AM, Yunlian Jiang <yun...@google.com> wrote:
Are you building it with caroline or terra board?
If this is the case, it is because we enabled Thinlto recently.

Exactly!
Great to know. Thank you very much.

- hidehiko

Yunlian Jiang

Dec 8, 2017, 10:46:01 AM12/8/17
to Hidehiko Abe, Chromium OS dev
As a workaround,
you can edit the gn file inside chrome-sdk by running

gn args out_$SDK_BOARD/Release

You need to set

use_thin_lto to false

and remove

-Wl,-plugin-opt,-import-instr-limit=30 from cros_target_extra_ldflags

This conversation is locked