Will Webkit Speech API be continued as a free service in the future?

Nirmal Almara

Apr 19, 2016, 3:11:14 AM4/19/16
to Chromium HTML5
Hi,

As I'm building multiple web apps that uses webkit speech API on chrome browser, I'm curious to know whether it will be continued as a free service in the future as it is now. I'm asking this because of Google cloud speech API (probably not free service), seems like it's focus is on apps that are to be built on mobile and desktop applications. So, would a web app in a chrome browser have a free speech recognition service in the future?

Thanks,
Nirmal

PhistucK

Apr 19, 2016, 4:04:07 AM4/19/16
to Nirmal Almara, Chromium HTML5
​Specifically the WebKit prefixed API will be discontinued at some point and will be replaced with the standard, non-prefixed variant.
Regarding whether it will be free and supported forever - no one can tell you that, not even Google. I have not heard on any plans to remove it, anyway.​

PhistucK