H264 OpenSource Codec

Andrew Constant

May 8, 2018, 7:05:06 PM5/8/18
to Chromium HTML5
Can we have this opensource H264 compiled into Chromium please.

https://github.com/cisco/openh264

PhistucK

May 9, 2018, 2:02:23 AM5/9/18
to aimc...@gmail.com, Chromium HTML5
I believe it is used by Chrome/Chromium, but only for WebRTC calls.

PhistucK

On Wed, May 9, 2018 at 2:05 AM Andrew Constant <aimc...@gmail.com> wrote:
Can we have this opensource H264 compiled into Chromium please.

https://github.com/cisco/openh264

Andrew Constant

May 9, 2018, 3:56:19 AM5/9/18
to Chromium HTML5, aimc...@gmail.com
Then can it be used for video elements.

It's crazy that Chromium and it's derivatives can't play H264. That makes it pretty useless as a browser.

PhistucK

May 9, 2018, 5:10:04 AM5/9/18
to aimc...@gmail.com, Chromium HTML5
Chrome does not use OpenH264 for decoding videos at the moment (I do not know whether there are plans to change that).
I guess supporting OpenH264 in the HTML video pipeline would take some significant effort. Google usually does not put efforts into big Chromium projects that do not directly benefit Chrome (this is understandable, every business has a certain amount of resources and the business needs come first).

I am not a Googler, but I guess a community contribution of OpenH264 integration into the HTML video pipeline would be accepted. However, in order not to waste time on implementing something that will not be accepted, interested contributors should probably ask chromium-dev first, whether such contribution would be accepted).

PhistucK

Andrew Constant

May 9, 2018, 5:40:30 AM5/9/18
to Chromium HTML5
OK thanks, I thought this was the developer group. It's a very tangled web this Chrome thing ;-)