Ancient Coin Visual Keyboard - Need help with ancient font sets.

Daryl Rhoades

Jun 22, 2018, 12:19:32 AM6/22/18
to Chromium HTML5

That's the link directly to my keyboard which was designed by me as a visual aid to help ID coins by copying whatever characters you entered that can be pasted to other websites like Facebook, Notepad, and editing programs on your PC platform like Windows 10, etc. These keyboards can also be used on cell phones so you can be at a coin show and ID coins on the fly. If you are a metal detector and if you find a coin you can type the legend characters and try to ID your coin.

There are several modern and ancient font character sets. There are 2-4 sets on each page which better facilitates translating coin types like Greek, Roman Imperial, Roman Provincial, Israel Judaea coins, etc.

Font sets supported so far are Greek, Latin, Phoenician, Russian, Armenian, Arabic, Aramaic, Syriac, Kharosthi

Most of these ancient font sets are supported well in Chrome if you have the language support. Kharosthi has some major issues which I will explain next. A font set for Nabataean which is a ancient group of people in upper Saudi Arabia and through modern day Jordan, which will not display in Chrome or in any other browser, so I don't have a keyboard for it. I would like to make one, sure.

-------------------------------

This is a difficult one to explain how it malfunctions but I will try.

Here is the unicode block for the basic character set. Those characters display just fine. The problem is when you want use a vowel character which transforms the isolated form character to another. Kharosthi characters are usually inherent with "A", for example KA is the isolated form. The vowels are A, I, U, R, E, O. If you have KA inherent and use one of the vowels the character will transform to KO, KE, KRA, KU, KI. for example.

When you are trying to use a vowel, the main inherent character doesn't transform as you would want or expect. The carrot will jump behind the inherent character with the vowel mark behind the main character and not transform that character at all. When you enter the next non vowel character, the carrot will jump back to the right position. This is a right to left reading and writing character set similar in the manner that Arabic is read and written but only in that way.

I wonder if this issue can be fixed by you guys inside Chrome because it would be most helpful for this keyboard and those that want to ID Indo-Greek coins like Kushan, Bactrian and many other region kingdom types that use the Kharosthi script font set.

--------------

Nabataean alphabet is not supported at all in Chrome. The characters show at the top and the vertical alphabet character chart because those are images for Nabataen. The unicode block is what you want to look at and see that none of the characters display and are boxed out. Every single person I asked about this and read on forums all have the same issue. Seems like there is no support for displaying Nabataean yet. Would be nice too because then characters on Nabataean coins can be displayed and studied easier.

Nabataean is a right to left ancient language and also has ligatures similar to Arabic.

I hope something can be worked out in the way of giving me advice to correct this issue or adding support to Chrome for some of the issues I'm having.

Thank you very much.

PhistucK

Jun 22, 2018, 6:35:33 AM6/22/18
to gilgala...@gmail.com, Chromium HTML5
Sorry, I have not read the entire message, so forgive me if this answer is redundant.

Most of the "exotic" language pages on Wikipedia have (or used to have?) a warning that states that certain characters might not be rendered correctly because they require certain fonts. I guess this is your case as well, you need to use a web font (or make the user install an appropriate font and use that) with support for those characters for rendering characters from that language.

The browser can usually render whatever you give it, regardless of the unicode block - it just will not show the right characters if there are no fonts that contain those characters. Browsers usually do not bundle fonts within them, the use system/web fonts.

PhistucK