New cache for FileReader

Pierre

Aug 7, 2016, 3:14:11 PM8/7/16
to Chromium HTML5
In case you've found, like I did, FileReader in the File Web API to be slow on Chrome (and wouldn't mind improvements on other browsers, either), I developed a cache for the File API, to amortize the overhead of FileReader, at https://bitbucket.org/Pierre_Lebeaupin/simplefilecachejs

I haven't documented its use yet, for now the best guide on using it is to follow the example of my use of it in JPS: https://bitbucket.org/Pierre_Lebeaupin/jps , you can see the deployed version of it (using the cache) at http://wanderingcoder.net/projects/JPS-dev/beta/

In my use case, the cache brought a 10x (ten times, 1000%) performance improvement on Chrome (less easy to measure on other browsers), obviously your mileage may vary.

I am considering submitting it to npm, though I need to find out in which category/tags/etc. it would fit best.

Pierre

Feb 16, 2017, 8:43:22 PM2/16/17
to Chromium HTML5
Important update for any interested party: the cache has been officially published as simple-file-cache on NPM, at https://www.npmjs.com/package/simple-file-cache . Now go forth and use it everywhere it can be useful.