Excel (.xls) mime type reported as "" when using FileReader API

auchenberg

Dec 6, 2011, 4:15:53 AM12/6/11
to Chromium HTML5
Hi guys,

Some weeks ago I saw some very odd behaviour when reading Excel (.xls)
files with the FileReader API in Chrome 15 on OSX. The mime type of
Excel files (.xls / application/vnd.ms-excel), is reported as empty in
Chrome, which results in filtering with <input>'s is disallowing Excel
files to be selected.

Bug report: http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=105382.

I seems to be a OSX specific issue, since I can't reproduce it in
Chrome 15 on Windows, and its present in both Chrome 15 and Chrome
17.0.949.0 canary on OSX.

Can I get you guys to verify this one for me? http://jsfiddle.net/auchenberg/SQTpj/.

Thanks.

//Kenneth Auchenberg

PhistucK

Dec 7, 2011, 4:12:09 AM12/7/11
to auchenberg, Chromium HTML5
Do you have any file type association for XLS on your Macintosh (have you installed any XLS reader that is run when you run any XLS file)?
If not, do not expect your operating system to recognize it.

PhistucK

John Hennessy

Sep 26, 2016, 4:13:02 PM9/26/16
to Chromium HTML5
Just encountered this situation with .xlsx on Windows 10 using Chrome
53.0.2785.116 (Official Buildm (32-bit)

Same result with Word (.docx).  Works fine with Firefox.  Do use Libre Office, not MS, but why should Google care?

PhistucK

Sep 26, 2016, 4:19:27 PM9/26/16
to John Hennessy, Chromium HTML5
Since the original issue was only reproduced on macOS, maybe comment on crbug.com/155455 about your configuration.

PhistucK

brando...@borrowell.com

Dec 21, 2017, 11:38:04 AM12/21/17
to Chromium HTML5, auche...@gmail.com
That is incorrect. Firefox (Quantum v57) and Safari (v11) on Mac can read the MIME type fine, but only Chrome (v61) is reporting the type as "". Please fix it. Thanks.