Questions about Web Speech API

Thiago Ferreira de Toledo

Aug 5, 2016, 11:10:12 AM8/5/16
to Chromium HTML5
Hidevelopers,

I believe this is aum case already "solved", but need updates on the possible future of the Web Speech API, such as:

1. Can I use it in my web application?
1.1. What is the daily use limit?
2. paid? You can purchase additional quotas?
3. Where can I find the license agreement?
4. There is likely to be discontinued?

Regars,
Thiago

PhistucK

Aug 5, 2016, 11:40:59 AM8/5/16
to Thiago Ferreira de Toledo, Chromium HTML5
See my comments inline.

(Not sure what "aum case" is)

PhistucK

On Fri, Aug 5, 2016 at 6:10 PM, Thiago Ferreira de Toledo <thiag...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hidevelopers,

I believe this is aum case already "solved", but need updates on the possible future of the Web Speech API, such as:

1. Can I use it in my web application?

It is a web platform feature, I do not see why not.
The fact that it is prefix is concerning, yes, but I believe Google is using it in its search engine, so it should be safe to rely on. Of course, you should make sure you code according to the specification and try the unprefixed API first, in order to make it safe to remove the prefixed API in the future without ruining your application.

1.1. What is the daily use limit?

​I have not heard of such a limit.​

2. paid? You can purchase additional quotas?

​Since I have not heard of a limit, there is a no need for quotas.​

3. Where can I find the license agreement?

​It is an open web platform feature. The license agreement is the one of the browser you are using.​

4. There is likely to be discontinued?

​I find it hard to believe it will be discontinued, but time traveling is not an option, so I cannot be certain.​

Regars,
Thiago