fullscreen API in chromium content shell or chrome shell on android

Ingo Albers

Jun 30, 2014, 3:28:14 AM6/30/14
to chromiu...@chromium.org
Hello,

is it possible to use the fullscreen API, that google chrome is using in chromium or content shell on android? Do I have to activate it somewhere?

Nothing happens, when the screen should go fullscreen. In chrome it works flawlessly and even gets rid of the system status bar, which is what I want to achieve. I would still rather like to use chromium content or chrome shell, because I might need to do some modifications on the browser for my specific needs.

I also tried to start chromium with the kiosk flag, as explained here:

But I think that is also not supported on android. Does anyone have an idea, how I could achieve what I want using chromium? (Fullscreen browser, displaying one site without address bar, etc and without system bar)

Thanks for any help

Cristian Perez

Nov 27, 2014, 11:30:22 AM11/27/14
to chromiu...@chromium.org
Hey Ingo Albers,

But I tried it and it didn't make any effect. Did you make any progress with this?

Thanks,
Cristian

Ingo Albers

Nov 28, 2014, 5:23:37 AM11/28/14
to chromiu...@chromium.org
Hello Cristian,

I could not make it work with flags only, so I modified the code when I built the content shell to not display the menu and navigation items. Additionally I hide the android bars on the system level.
You can find the way I did it and the sources for information I used here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/24450183/kiosk-mode-or-fullscreen-in-chromium-on-android

Kind regards
Ingo

Cristian Perez

Nov 28, 2014, 5:32:44 AM11/28/14
to chromiu...@chromium.org
Thanks a lot for your answer Ingo,

I now discovered crosswalk.com and I've been able to embed a webview that works fullscreen. However it has one bug, that I just reported here: https://crosswalk-project.org/jira/browse/XWALK-3048

Would you mind to try if there is the same bug in your solution? You just have to load youtube.com in the content shell, play any video, touch the fullscreen button and switch to landscape, finally check if the video controls appear at the bottom.

Best,
Cristian

Ingo Albers

Nov 28, 2014, 7:25:01 AM11/28/14
to chromiu...@chromium.org
Hello,

Sadly I can't test this as the only android devices I use are set top boxes with fixed landscape mode.

Kind regards
Ingo