Re: [chromium-html5] Android OSes that Support Media Source Extensions

PhistucK

Apr 2, 2018, 2:46:45 PM4/2/18
to stephen...@cbsinteractive.com, Chromium HTML5
I believe Android Jelly Beans (4.1) and later (so any platform Chrome supports above but not equal to Android 4.0).
I do not think there is an official list anywhere.

PhistucK

On Mon, Apr 2, 2018 at 9:19 PM, <stephen...@cbsinteractive.com> wrote:
Greetings,

Of the following Android OS versions, which ones support Media Source Extensions?

Android 4.2.2

Android 4.3

Android 4.4.2

Android 4.4.4

Android 5.0.1

Android 5.1

Android 5.1.1

Android 6.0

Android 6.0.1

Android 7.0

Android 7.1.1

Android 7.1.2

Android 8.0.0

Android 8.1.0

And is there a comprehensive list of devices and and OSes that can run MSE?

chcunnin...@chromium.org

Apr 2, 2018, 3:15:56 PM4/2/18
to Chromium HTML5, stephen...@cbsinteractive.com
The Chrome version is really more important than the Android version. MediaSource has been implemented for years now. Not sure the exact release, but caniuse.com marks it available as early as Chrome 49

https://caniuse.com/#feat=mediasource

If you're a site author, you can avoid keeping track of the Chrome versions and instead just detect the feature in JavaScript

if("MediaSource" in window) {
}

On Monday, April 2, 2018 at 11:46:45 AM UTC-7, PhistucK wrote:
I believe Android Jelly Beans (4.1) and later (so any platform Chrome supports above but not equal to Android 4.0).
I do not think there is an official list anywhere.

PhistucK

Stephen Collins

Apr 2, 2018, 3:56:43 PM4/2/18
to chcunnin...@chromium.org, Chromium HTML5
Thanks for the info.

I am attempting to reverse engineer the mobile devices that support MSE, by virtue of Chrome browsers that are compatible on these devices and support MSE.
--
Stephen Collins
Senior Product Manager, Video Technology

chcunnin...@chromium.org

Apr 2, 2018, 4:34:58 PM4/2/18
to Chromium HTML5, chcunn...@chromium.org
Sure. Keep in mind that, while current Chrome requires at least Android 4.1, the earlier versions of Chrome that first released MSE would have also worked on earlier versions of Android.

On android, seems that MSE launched around version 30, near August of 2013

At that time, we still had significant usage of earlier Android versions, including 2.3* - 4.0*.

Not sure what the android cutoff was for Chrome 30, but if you trust this site, it might have been min: 4.0  (Ice Cream Sandwich)

Stephen Collins

PhistucK

Apr 2, 2018, 4:56:46 PM4/2/18
to chcunnin...@chromium.org, Chromium HTML5
Chrome has always required at least Android 4.0. Media Source Extensions might have worked for a little bit (but unstable at that, I guess, if at all) on Android 4.0, but stopped at an early stage.
I do not think Chrome supports Android 4.0 anymore, so new users can probably not emerge at this point.

PhistucK

Stephen Collins

Apr 2, 2018, 5:05:34 PM4/2/18
to PhistucK, chcunnin...@chromium.org, Chromium HTML5