Chrome asks for web DVR client plugin installation but still doesn't work

Makis Dounavis

Apr 25, 2015, 12:18:17 PM4/25/15
to chromium-...@chromium.org
I used to view my dvr remotely via chrome browser. Everytime I tried for the first time from any computer it asked me to download the web DVR client. Once I did that, I could access my DVR's menu. Next time I used the same pc it did not ask me to install this plug-in again and I had direct access to my DVR. About a week ago, even if I install the plug-in, the page keeps asking me to install the web DVR client plugin and does not let me access the DVR. This happens even in PC's that I had already used to remote view my DVR. Any ideas what has changed and what I have to do now? The .exe file is named NetDvrV3.

PhistucK

Apr 25, 2015, 1:10:20 PM4/25/15
to Makis Dounavis, Chromium-extensions
This is not the right group for such topics (it only concerns Chrome extensions). chromium-discuss is a better choice, however, you will not really get a real solution using Chrome.

Chrome stopped supporting NPAPI (the component that runs this kind of plugins) in the most recent release (Chrome 42, released about a week and a half ago) and your DVR plugin is probably an NPAPI plugin, which is why it does not work anymore.

The right way to handle this is to ask the vendor of your DVR to either support a web interface (so you can access it using a browser on any device, like computers, tablets, phones, or whatever), or support Chrome in other ways (an extension with native messaging, or a PPAPI plugin).

A workaround would be to use Firefox (or perhaps Internet Explorer), which does support NPAPI, assuming the DVR plugin is compatible with them.

PhistucK

On Sat, Apr 25, 2015 at 7:18 PM, Makis Dounavis <mdou...@gmail.com> wrote:
I used to view my dvr remotely via chrome browser. Everytime I tried for the first time from any computer it asked me to download the web DVR client. Once I did that, I could access my DVR's menu. Next time I used the same pc it did not ask me to install this plug-in again and I had direct access to my DVR. About a week ago, even if I install the plug-in, the page keeps asking me to install the web DVR client plugin and does not let me access the DVR. This happens even in PC's that I had already used to remote view my DVR. Any ideas what has changed and what I have to do now? The .exe file is named NetDvrV3.

Tim Shippy

Apr 26, 2015, 8:45:58 AM4/26/15
to chromium-...@chromium.org
In the address bar enter "chrome://flags"
Find the setting to "enable napping"
Enable it

That will buy you until September when Google retires Npapi fully

PhistucK

Apr 26, 2015, 8:54:49 AM4/26/15
to Tim Shippy, Chromium-extensions
​Makis can nap without visiting "chrome://flags".
:P

The name is "Enable NPAPI".

Jokes aside, yes, this is a very temporary solution​ and should be used sparingly, as it exposes your entire device to risks. It is not recommended.

PhistucK

Makis Dounavis

Apr 26, 2015, 2:26:18 PM4/26/15
to chromium-...@chromium.org
Thank you very much for the answers. I will use firefox for that manner from now on. Any idea why Google changed that?

PhistucK

Apr 26, 2015, 2:35:08 PM4/26/15
to Makis Dounavis, Chromium-extensions
Yes, NPAPI plugins can do whatever they want with your device, unlike websites (that can only do so much - and only with your permission), which means they can even destroy your machine, or copy any data, including sensitive data or send it to third parties without your knowledge.

PhistucK

Matt Seil

Apr 26, 2015, 3:13:41 PM4/26/15
to Makis Dounavis, chromium-...@chromium.org

Mozilla changed its language surrounding NPAPI support and will be removing within the year.  IE's replacement, Spartan has already announced there will be no NPAPI either.  Your hope is that the manufacturer will supply a different technology.

Also, NPAPI actions are executed as you (the user).

A T Computer

Jan 27, 2020, 8:39:32 AM1/27/20
to Chromium Extensions, mdou...@gmail.com
not detect the correct version of the control, click install / update controls. chrome remote