Need help in development of a chrome extension

Mohammad Amir Hameed Attari

Dec 16, 2016, 4:25:03 PM12/16/16
to Chromium-Extensions-Announce
Hi guys

I am making a Chrome extension. I am stuck at a point I need little help to continue my work. Can anybody help me?

here is link to what I am working upon.

Baran Bahari

Dec 16, 2016, 7:23:01 PM12/16/16
to Mohammad Amir Hameed Attari, Chromium-Extensions-Announce

سلام.من از کشور ایران شهر تهران هستم

در تاریخ 17 دسامبر 2016 0:55، "Mohammad Amir Hameed Attari" <picwellw...@gmail.com> نوشت:

PhistucK

Dec 17, 2016, 5:30:33 AM12/17/16
to Mohammad Amir Hameed Attari, Chromium-Extensions-Announce
Without specific questions, people are less likely to step in and help.

PhistucK

Mohammad Amir Hameed Attari

Dec 17, 2016, 7:33:02 AM12/17/16
to PhistucK, Chromium-Extensions-Announce
I am using gulp as my build system and browser-sync for the server.
Problem is :
1 - Browser-sync does not open its server at chrome-extension:// protocol where my extension actually work. So I have to manually open the page and refresh it.
2 - I am using react in my extension. But react devtools does not work under chrome-extension:// protocol. So I can not debug my react components.
3 - Interface (UI) of my extension work fine on localhost:3000(Browser-sync defaults) and so is react devtools but Chrome api does not work outside the scope of extension.

I am new in chrome development . So not sure if I am doing things wrong or not

Regards
Amir Hameed

Emails:
m...@amirhameed.com
picwellw...@gmail.com

Skype: picwellwisher12pk

URLs:
www.amirhameed.com

Author at (Envato) vector.tutsplus.com
Author at (Envato) webdesign.tutsplus.com

Mobile:
+92 322 422 8530

On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 11:25 PM, Mohammad Amir Hameed Attari <picwellw...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi guys

I am making a Chrome extension. I am stuck at a point I need little help to continue my work. Can anybody help me?

here is link to what I am working upon.

PhistucK

Dec 17, 2016, 10:16:10 AM12/17/16
to Mohammad Amir Hameed Attari, Chromium-Extensions-Announce
Comments inline.

PhistucK

On Sat, Dec 17, 2016 at 2:32 PM, Mohammad Amir Hameed Attari <picwellw...@gmail.com> wrote:
I am using gulp as my build system and browser-sync for the server.
Problem is :
1 - Browser-sync does not open its server at chrome-extension:// protocol where my extension actually work. So I have to manually open the page and refresh it.

​I read somewhere that browsersync can work in a few ways, one of them is to just include its script manually instead of using its server directly, which is the way you should use, in my opinion.​ It will probably work. Maybe there is some configuration that needs to be changed. Have you searched for "browsersync chrome extension"?

2 - I am using react in my extension. But react devtools does not work under chrome-extension:// protocol. So I can not debug my react components.

​I have not looked into that. Have you searched for "react devtools chrome extensions"​?

3 - Interface (UI) of my extension work fine on localhost:3000(Browser-sync defaults) and so is react devtools but Chrome api does not work outside the scope of extension.

​Yep, that makes sense.​

Mohammad Amir Hameed Attari

Dec 22, 2016, 1:09:50 AM12/22/16
to Chromium-Extensions-Announce, picwellw...@gmail.com
I have came down to the point that Content script ideally should have access to Chrome Messaging API but it is not. It is only working under chrome-extension:// not under http .

PhistucK

Dec 22, 2016, 1:57:25 AM12/22/16
to Mohammad Amir Hameed Attari, Chromium-Extensions-Announce
You need to show some code and manifest.

Also, there is no reason to post a message on one thread and start another thread for the same topic.

PhistucK

On Thu, Dec 22, 2016 at 8:09 AM, Mohammad Amir Hameed Attari <picwellw...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have came down to the point that Content script ideally should have access to Chrome Messaging API but it is not. It is only working under chrome-extension:// not under http .

Mohammad Amir Hameed Attari

Dec 22, 2016, 2:00:52 AM12/22/16
to PhistucK, Chromium-Extensions-Announce
I m sorry i m not good with Forums. I guess these are my first questions on any forum. I thought it would be better to create new topic based on the right question.

As for the code I had provided url to github repo in first message.

Regards
Amir Hameed

Emails:
m...@amirhameed.com
picwellw...@gmail.com

Skype: picwellwisher12pk

URLs:
www.amirhameed.com

Author at (Envato) vector.tutsplus.com
Author at (Envato) webdesign.tutsplus.com

Mobile:
+92 322 422 8530

PhistucK

Dec 22, 2016, 2:08:49 AM12/22/16
to Mohammad Amir Hameed Attari, Chromium-Extensions-Announce
Have you changed that code, or are you using the same exact code?

PhistucK

Mohammad Amir Hameed Attari

PhistucK

Dec 22, 2016, 2:22:11 AM12/22/16
to Mohammad Amir Hameed Attari, Chromium-Extensions-Announce
Unless I am blind, I cannot find your manifest.json.

PhistucK

Mohammad Amir Hameed Attari

PhistucK

Dec 22, 2016, 2:38:30 AM12/22/16
to Mohammad Amir Hameed Attari, Chromium-Extensions-Announce
JSON does not tolerate comments, I guess you are removing those in the build process.

Anyway, where is the code that tries to use the message passing API but fails?

PhistucK

Mohammad Amir Hameed Attari

Dec 22, 2016, 2:51:47 AM12/22/16
to PhistucK, Chromium-Extensions-Announce
Previously it was

Now I have merged the chrome.runtime.onMessage.addListener
to content script. Everytime with errors

Regards
Amir Hameed

Emails:
m...@amirhameed.com
picwellw...@gmail.com

Skype: picwellwisher12pk

URLs:
www.amirhameed.com

Author at (Envato) vector.tutsplus.com
Author at (Envato) webdesign.tutsplus.com

Mobile:
+92 322 422 8530

PhistucK

Dec 22, 2016, 2:55:22 AM12/22/16
to Mohammad Amir Hameed Attari, Chromium-Extensions-Announce
​Never tell someone, "with errors", without pasting the actual errors. :)​

PhistucK

Mohammad Amir Hameed Attari

PhistucK

Dec 22, 2016, 3:05:18 AM12/22/16
to Mohammad Amir Hameed Attari, Chromium-Extensions-Announce
Very strange... Are you sure it is fine? Perhaps Chrome does not really reload your manifest due to this error and you keep seeing the previous version of the manifest which may exclude some content scripts?

Anyway, post the errors.

PhistucK

Mohammad Amir Hameed Attari

Dec 22, 2016, 2:04:32 PM12/22/16
to PhistucK, Chromium-Extensions-Announce
Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'addListener' of undefined
on line 14 content.js (content.js is content script)

" chrome.runtime.onMessage.addListener(function (request, sender) { ...."

Another strange thing is if I load content.js in onetab.html(the main html file) as js it works. But it does not work as a content script itself even under chrome-extension-developer://

Regards
Amir Hameed

Emails:
m...@amirhameed.com
picwellw...@gmail.com

Skype: picwellwisher12pk

URLs:
www.amirhameed.com

Author at (Envato) vector.tutsplus.com
Author at (Envato) webdesign.tutsplus.com

Mobile:
+92 322 422 8530

Mohammad Amir Hameed Attari

Dec 22, 2016, 2:09:20 PM12/22/16
to PhistucK, Chromium-Extensions-Announce
content.js:14 Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'addListener' of undefined

to be exact. And I have not pushed these latest changes to github yet. I am attaching files here.

Regards
Amir Hameed

Emails:
m...@amirhameed.com
picwellw...@gmail.com

Skype: picwellwisher12pk

URLs:
www.amirhameed.com

Author at (Envato) vector.tutsplus.com
Author at (Envato) webdesign.tutsplus.com

Mobile:
+92 322 422 8530

onetab.html
manifest.json
content.js
onetab.html

Mohammad Amir Hameed Attari

PhistucK

Dec 22, 2016, 5:44:22 PM12/22/16
to Mohammad Amir Hameed Attari, Chromium-Extensions-Announce
Man, I had to mess with your attached files (and download others) until I could get the extension to even load.
Next time, please, just supply a ZIP file that can be extracted and loaded into Chrome without any hassle.
(The GitHub repository required to run some build process and had dependencies, an inconvenient process for someone that tries to help you)

I stripped manifest.json a bit (options, icons, images) and I stripped content.js a bit (removed anything after chrome.runtime.onMessage.addListener, basically, just to get it to load and work without any React exception.

I went to some page and did not get any exception regarding chrome.runtime.onMessage.addListener.
I verified that the code did run.

Side note -
I did notice when I sifted through the code a bit early today that you are using eval to run methods, which might be problematic somehow (and totally discouraged). You may be able to get away with window[methodName] or this[methodName] or that[methodName] (and similar) instead of eval(methodName). Who knows, it might even causing you the problem you noted in one way or another.

Next time, when something this common (chrome.runtime.onMessage.addListener) does not work, try to strip anything unrelated and run only that code and see if it works. If it does, use the elimination process to find the culprit.

PhistucK
onetab.zip

Mohammad Amir Hameed Attari

Baran Bahari

Jan 14, 2017, 10:01:24 PM1/14/17
to Mohammad Amir Hameed Attari, PhistucK, Chromium-Extensions-Announce

در تاریخ 23 دسامبر 2016 9:28، "Mohammad Amir Hameed Attari" <picwellw...@gmail.com> نوشت:

>>> m...@amirhameed.com