Chrome extension is corrupt as of Version 59

John Nguyen

Jun 13, 2017, 3:54:58 PM6/13/17
to Chromium-Extensions-Announce
I've created a Chrome extension that was working fine until Version 59 which then I'll get "This extension may have been corrupted." I've tried to repair and reinstall but that does nothing. Loading it as an unpacked extension works though. I've also tried to have it as my only extension on a new profile and that also doesn't help.

Downgrading Chrome version also fixes the problem. I've also tried the dev and canary build (Version 61) and the extension works fine.

Did something happen in Version 59 that broke my extension? Is there a way to get more information into what went wrong? Or do I have to wait until Version 61 for the problem to be fixed?

Jerry Krinock

Jun 13, 2017, 4:25:46 PM6/13/17
to Chromium-extensions

> On 2017 Jun 13, at 12:54, John Nguyen <john....@greenhouse.io> wrote:
>
> I've created a Chrome extension that was working fine until Version 59 which then I'll get "This extension may have been corrupted." I've tried to repair and reinstall but that does nothing. Loading it as an unpacked extension works though.

The phrase “may have been corrupted” is often a euphemism for “does not pass security checks”. Suspect a permissions, blacklist, or signing problem.

> I've also tried to have it as my only extension on a new profile and that also doesn't help.
>
> Downgrading Chrome version also fixes the problem. I've also tried the dev and canary build (Version 61) and the extension works fine.
>
> Did something happen in Version 59 that broke my extension?

Well, given your test results, apparently so!

> Is there a way to get more information into what went wrong?

Maybe.

• Click in Chrome’s menu: Window > Extensions.
• Switch on checkbox “Developer Mode”
• Click one of the hyperlinks which appear in your extension’s listing. Debugger window opens.
• Click the “Console” tab.
• See if there are any messages.

John Nguyen

Jun 13, 2017, 4:40:37 PM6/13/17
to Chromium-Extensions-Announce
Yes that was another thing I've tried that I forgot to mention. Nothing shows up in the console tab when I'm trying to repair it or install it.

It would be great if Chrome was more clear on what it doesn't like. My extension is kind of large and it's going to be really annoying and time consuming to keep pushing updates and see if Chrome is happy.

Would anyone know what security checks might have been added to Version 59 so I can start on those first?

Istiaque

Jun 13, 2017, 4:41:35 PM6/13/17
to Chromium-Extensions-Announce
This is most likely https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=720597
There was a bug with files/resources in extension that is multiple of 4096 bytes, I'm assuming you have a file of size 4k/8k etc?

Kingy Chiu

Jun 15, 2017, 9:55:42 PM6/15/17
to Chromium-Extensions-Announce
Our extensions also encountered similar issue "This extension may have been corrupted.".
How can we check if there any file having size multiple of 4096 bytes?

Kingy Chiu

Jun 15, 2017, 10:03:29 PM6/15/17
to Chromium-Extensions-Announce, john....@greenhouse.io
We also encounter the same problem. Our extension works on version 58, and version 61, but not work on version 59 (current stable).

Andy Lai

Jun 15, 2017, 10:03:36 PM6/15/17
to Chromium-Extensions-Announce
Same issue here. Chromium team PLEASE FIX IT

Kingy Chiu

Jun 17, 2017, 9:44:43 AM6/17/17
to Chromium-Extensions-Announce, john....@greenhouse.io
I am able to solve this by locating all file with the size which is multiple of 4096 and changing their file size by adding comments.
Here is the code for locating the potential file: https://gist.github.com/kingychiu/8faf23a3e42e864ae9ebd4c1b5939924/

Thomas Gallagher

Jul 5, 2017, 10:33:03 AM7/5/17
to Chromium-Extensions-Announce, john....@greenhouse.io
+1 nothing massive changed in new version, works fine when loaded upacked, uploads fine (no error messages) to Chrome Web Store. When the user downloads it, there is an error message. Only on current stable version of chrome.