Managed extension auto update?

Anish

Aug 26, 2015, 1:04:51 PM8/26/15
to Chromium-extensions
I've deployed a Chrome extension on the Chrome Web Store, and we've installed it on a whole bunch of computers as a managed extension. The computers auto-downloaded the extension at the time of deployment.

Now, we've updated the extension in the Chrome Web Store, and the computers don't seem to be auto-updating to install the latest version of the extension. Is this expected behavior? Is there a way to force all the clients to update?

Antony Sargent

Aug 26, 2015, 5:25:35 PM8/26/15
to Anish, Chromium-extensions
Autoupdate checks happen about every 5-6 hours. You can force a check to happen manually if you open a tab to chrome://extensions, turn on developer mode, and hit the "Update extensions now" button.

Note that it can take a while for new versions of an extension published in the webstore to become active (eg for the autoupdate servers to actually start serving the new version), since we run a series of automated malware checks, etc.

On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 10:04 AM, Anish <aath...@dropbox.com> wrote:
I've deployed a Chrome extension on the Chrome Web Store, and we've installed it on a whole bunch of computers as a managed extension. The computers auto-downloaded the extension at the time of deployment.

Now, we've updated the extension in the Chrome Web Store, and the computers don't seem to be auto-updating to install the latest version of the extension. Is this expected behavior? Is there a way to force all the clients to update?

Anish

Aug 26, 2015, 5:26:49 PM8/26/15
to Chromium-extensions
For anyone else who was having the same issue: at least for me, the update was really slow, and it took about 48 hours after deploying it to the Chrome Web Store for it to get auto-updated on my machine.