Re: Announcing the activeTab permission in Chrome 26 stable!

Adam Stankiewicz

Apr 22, 2013, 6:03:12 PM4/22/13
to chromium-...@chromium.org
It doesn't work for me in devtools_panel...

On Saturday, April 13, 2013 1:40:27 AM UTC+2, Peter Ludwig wrote:

Extension developers,

Does your extension need <all_urls>?

Chrome 26, now stable, includes the new activeTab permission, which you may be able to use instead. The best part? It doesn’t require a warning message during installation!

The activeTab permission gives an extension temporary access to the currently active tab when the user invokes the extension - for example by clicking its browser action. Access to the tab lasts until the tab is navigated or closed.

Check out the documentation, and try it out!

Peter Ludwig

Chrome Extensions PM

Benjamin Kalman

Apr 22, 2013, 6:06:05 PM4/22/13
to Adam Stankiewicz, chromium-...@chromium.org

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 3:03 PM, Adam Stankiewicz <she...@sher.pl> wrote:
It doesn't work for me in devtools_panel...

What are you expecting to work?

Adam Stankiewicz

Apr 22, 2013, 6:16:10 PM4/22/13
to Benjamin Kalman, chromium-...@chromium.org
My bad, sorry, I didn't read documentation carefully:

The devtools.inspectedWindow.tabId property provides the tab identifier that you can use with the chrome.tabs.* API calls. However, please note that chrome.tabs.*API is not exposed to the Developer Tools extension pages due to security considerations — you will need to pass the tab ID to the background page and invoke the chrome.tabs.* API functions from there.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted