obtain Message-ID of gmail message current open

David Jacobowitz

Jul 7, 2016, 12:34:13 AM7/7/16
to Chromium-Extensions-Announce

This is a Chrome extension development question, but perhaps may not seem like one. I think it will be familiar to anyone who develops extensions for sites they do not control.

My organization is interested in a simple Chrome extension that can add a button to Gmail for users to press that is something like "report phishing". It would simply forward the currently open message to a special account for analysis. I've gotten the GMail API working in my extension, so I can search and send mails from the extension, but I'm having trouble with the part where I find out what the user has open. I guess I was hoping I could reverse-engineer the GMail DOM a bit, but it's pretty crazy dynamically generated stuff with id made up on the fly, etc. I was thinking that if I could just find the Message-ID I could search for it with the GMail API and forward the message that way.

Does anybody who's done spelunking in Gmail have any ideas/advice?

Best,
Dave J

Chris Hughes

Jul 7, 2016, 2:01:38 AM7/7/16
to David Jacobowitz, Chromium-Extensions-Announce
This will help.
https://github.com/KartikTalwar/gmail.js/tree/master
> --
> Visit this group at
> https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/group/chromium-extensions/.
> https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/chromium-extensions/90301dd6-4e08-4ab4-a453-418a0b897e3e%40chromium.org.

@chews
fb.com/chews

spazout.com
310.408.3731

David Jacobowitz

Jul 7, 2016, 2:04:56 AM7/7/16
to Chris Hughes, Chromium-Extensions-Announce
Thanks, Chris,

I just found that! It's brilliant! And it's being maintained actively!

Kartik Talwar is a hero.
--
Dave Jacobowitz
LBL IT Strategic Programs