Get Data from Secure Facebook.

daPhyre

Sep 22, 2011, 5:55:14 PM9/22/11
to Chromium-extensions
Good afternoon.

I have developed an extension that retrieves data from the Facebook
page. Recently I discovered a problem, because if "Secure Facebook" is
enabled, my extension crashes with a login page and returns an error.

Is there a way that I can retrieve that data even if Secure Facebook
is enabled? Or, in case it's not posible, is there a way to know if
Secure Facebook is enabled, so I return a message saying that, instead
of an error?

Thank you!

PhistucK

Sep 23, 2011, 4:57:41 AM9/23/11
to daPhyre, Chromium-extensions
If your extension is crashing (and I mean that the extension/renderer process is actually crashing, not an exception that simply breaks your code), then this is a Chrome issue and you should search for an existing issue at crbug.com, or file a new one if you do not find one at new.crbug.com and attach a reduce test case (an extension with some minimal code that reproduces the crash). Also, test your extension with the dev/canary channels to see if that it crashes there as well and report back.
Note - if it does not crash on the dev/canary channel, do not file a new issue - just report back.

Thank you!

PhistucK

daPhyre

Sep 23, 2011, 4:17:27 PM9/23/11
to Chromium-extensions
Sorry, I might have explained myself wrong. By "crashing" I meant,
"Not achieving it's goal", sorry.

I'll explain better the case. My extension 'retrieves' information
from Facebook (Notifications, Messages & Requests) and displays them
in the badge. When Secure Facebook is not enabled, it works with no
problem, but if it is activated, I get in the Network tab a "Status:
302 Found", followed by a "Status: Cancelled" one millisecond later.

As far as I know, there is no way to retrieve this data from the API
or any alternative way, so this is the only way I can retrieve them.
If it works, the current version of the extension is at
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/kgcbemnjmjdplnanhpjkmapflmbmoggm
.

I would be really thankful if you can help me with this!

On Sep 23, 3:57 am, PhistucK <phist...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If your extension is crashing (and I mean that the extension/renderer
> process is actually crashing, not an exception that simply breaks your
> code), then this is a Chrome issue and you should search for an existing
> issue at crbug.com, or file a new one if you do not find one at
> new.crbug.com and attach a reduce test case (an extension with some minimal
> code that reproduces the crash). Also, test your extension with the
> dev/canary channels to see if that it crashes there as well and report back.
> Note - if it does not crash on the dev/canary channel, do not file a new
> issue - just report back.
>
> Thank you!
>
> ☆*PhistucK*
>

> On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 00:55, daPhyre <daphyr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Good afternoon.
>
> > I have developed an extension that retrieves data from the Facebook
> > page. Recently I discovered a problem, because if "Secure Facebook" is
> > enabled, my extension crashes with a login page and returns an error.
>
> > Is there a way that I can retrieve that data even if Secure Facebook
> > is enabled? Or, in case it's not posible, is there a way to know if
> > Secure Facebook is enabled, so I return a message saying that, instead
> > of an error?
>
> > Thank you!

Abraham Williams

Sep 23, 2011, 4:26:21 PM9/23/11
to daPhyre, Chromium-extensions
302 Found is an HTTP redirect. Likely it is going to be http://www.facebook.com to https://facebook.com You can probably just switch to SSL for all requests and it will work for everyone.

Abraham

daPhyre

Sep 24, 2011, 8:45:53 PM9/24/11
to Chromium-extensions
Sorry for my ignorance, but how do I "switch to SSL"? I don't know
exactly what do you mean with that...

I though it was change the request with https, but it throws the same
error, so I guess It's something I don't know yet or something I'm
missing. Thank you!

On 23 sep, 15:26, Abraham Williams <4bra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 302 Found is an HTTP redirect. Likely it is going to behttp://www.facebook.comtohttps://facebook.comYou can probably just switch
> to SSL for all requests and it will work for everyone.
>
> Abraham
> -------------
> Abraham Williams | InboxQ <http://inboxq.com/> | abrah.am |
> abraham<https://plus.google.com/114233674199568482864>
> +
> @abraham <https://twitter.com/intent/follow?screen_name=abraham> |
> github.com/abraham | blog.abrah.am
> This email is: [ ] shareable [x] ask first [ ] private.
>

> On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 13:17, daPhyre <daphyr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Sorry, I might have explained myself wrong. By "crashing" I meant,
> > "Not achieving it's goal", sorry.
>
> > I'll explain better the case. My extension 'retrieves' information
> > from Facebook (Notifications, Messages & Requests) and displays them
> > in the badge. When Secure Facebook is not enabled, it works with no
> > problem, but if it is activated, I get in the Network tab a "Status:
> > 302 Found", followed by a "Status: Cancelled" one millisecond later.
>
> > As far as I know, there is no way to retrieve this data from the API
> > or any alternative way, so this is the only way I can retrieve them.
> > If it works, the current version of the extension is at
> >https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/kgcbemnjmjdplnanhpjkmapflmb...

Chiuto

Sep 25, 2011, 4:00:41 AM9/25/11
to daPhyre, Chromium-extensions

Ssl means you better support also https

daPhyre

Sep 28, 2011, 2:14:40 PM9/28/11
to Chromium-extensions
I got it now. Yes, I just had to add the https version to the
manifest.json. Problem is that fisrt time I tried it, it didn't
worked. It did it just after I change the version (for somre reason),
so it didn't solved the problem then and I didn't understood what was
wrong with it until now. Thanks a lot for your time and sorry for
asking something quite simple in my ignorance. Thanks a lot!

On 25 sep, 03:00, Chiuto <s...@chiuto.com> wrote:
> Ssl means you better support also https
> 2011-9-25 上午8:45 於 "daPhyre" <daphyr...@gmail.com> 寫道:> Sorry for my ignorance, but how do I "switch to SSL"? I don't know
> > exactly what do you mean with that...
>
> > I though it was change the request with https, but it throws the same
> > error, so I guess It's something I don't know yet or something I'm
> > missing. Thank you!
>
> > On 23 sep, 15:26, Abraham Williams <4bra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> 302 Found is an HTTP redirect. Likely it is going to
>
> behttp://www.facebook.comtohttps://facebook.comYoucan probably just switch

Maxx Tech

Aug 16, 2017, 1:21:10 PM8/16/17
to Chromium-Extensions-Announce
Hello daPhyre....
iam developing a chrome extension for facebook for selected text as a facebook status....

can u give me idea to how to do this...
how can i use javascript sdk or is possible to do this with sdk's or not?