Dear Chrome Webstore Team - My Chrome Developer Account Got Suspended without Reason

Robert Nediyakalaparambil

Aug 25, 2015, 6:58:49 AM8/25/15
to Chromium-extensions
Hi,

I received a mail yesterday that my Chrome Developer account is suspended. I appealed but the appeal was denied. I would like to uphold that I have not violated TOS.

The themes were initially manually approved by your team and since then I did not update them as they are themes/art work which don't need frequent updates - so I could not have introduced a violation.

In the appeal, I have asked for the reason, but I get only this vague response that I had repeatedly violated TOS which I do not understand.

I can see that your team had suspended me twice in an hours time by looking at the suspension emails. Could that be the reason (human error) as to why I am being tagged as having repeatedly violated TOS and being denied appeal?

It's a great let down for a die hard google fan like me, who bets the future on Google. Could you be clear as to why I am suspended and being denied appeal?

I have pasted all the emails I received here - I can also paste the appeal screenshot if needed:

------------

RE: [6-7874000008287] Chrome Web Store Developer Appeal

Inbox

chromewebst...@google.com

1:11 PM (3 hours ago)
to me
Dear Developer,

Thank you for contacting the Chrome Web Store team to appeal your account suspension.

We have reviewed your case carefully, and due to repeated violations of our Terms of Service and Program Policies, we will not re-instate your developer account.

The Chrome Web Store team seeks to provide the best user experience in our store, and as such we uphold strict compliance of our Developer Terms of Service and Program Policies.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,
The Chrome Web Store Team
------------
Suspended twice within an hour:
---

Chrome Web Store: Developer Account Suspended

Inbox

chromewebstor...@google.com

Aug 24 (1 day ago)
to me
Dear Developer,

Your developer account, max...@gmail.com, has been suspended from the Chrome Web Store.

The Chrome Web Store team seeks to provide the best user experience in our store, and as such we uphold strict compliance of our Developer Terms of Service and Program Policies.

If you think that this has been applied in error, please submit a detailed appeal at following link:

http://support.google.com/chrome_webstore/contact/cws_dev_appeals

Regards,
The Chrome Web Store Abuse Team

chromewebstor...@google.com

Aug 24 (1 day ago)
to me
Categorize this message as:
Never show this again
Dear Developer,

Your developer account, max...@gmail.com, has been suspended from the Chrome Web Store.

The Chrome Web Store team seeks to provide the best user experience in our store, and as such we uphold strict compliance of our Developer Terms of Service and Program Policies.

If you think that this has been applied in error, please submit a detailed appeal at following link:

http://support.google.com/chrome_webstore/contact/cws_dev_appeals

Regards,
The Chrome Web Store Abuse Team

------------

Best Regards

Robert Nediyakalaparambil

Robert Nediyakalaparambil

Antony Sargent

Aug 26, 2015, 4:45:59 PM8/26/15
to Robert Nediyakalaparambil, Chromium-extensions
This email list is primarily for technical questions about extension/app development - the way to contact webstore developer support is at the following link:

https://support.google.com/chrome_webstore/contact/developer_support/

On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 10:37 AM, Robert Nediyakalaparambil <max...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Aug 27, 2015, 6:10:48 PM8/27/15
to Chromium-extensions, max...@gmail.com
Thanks Antony

I had contacted them via that form earlier - they had denied appeal. I also wanted to know how themes could violate TOS that were already approved by Google and then be taken down after months and account suspended. I was hoping some Google Developers would see my message here and have a second look. The suspension did not state a clear reason, its my right to know, isn't it? Nowadays a lot of moderation is outsourced to BPO's (who promise quality to clients but really don't) here in India, Asian and African countries and done by folks fresh out of or still in school. I just want to make sure the suspension is not due to an inexperienced moderator who applied the ban hammer too fast due to lack of commonsense or understanding of the process documents. Perhaps I should write to them again. I don't have much hopes.
No Support?

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/group/chromium-extensions/.

Antony Sargent

Aug 31, 2015, 1:37:05 PM8/31/15
to Robert Nediyakalaparambil, Chromium-extensions
Sorry you're running into this - unfortunately I'm not in a position to do anything more than point you at our official support channel.

No Support?
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/group/chromium-extensions/.

JT

Nov 6, 2018, 3:33:15 AM11/6/18
to Chromium Extensions, max...@gmail.com
Hi Robert,

Did you ever get a resolution for this.  The "official support channel" is just an automated wall that says no.  There is no way to get your situation looked at by an actual human being when the automated system erroneously flags your extension.

Francois Devatine

Nov 6, 2018, 3:43:11 AM11/6/18
to jkta...@gmail.com, chromium-...@chromium.org, max...@gmail.com
The URL https://support.google.com/chrome_webstore/contact/developer_support/ actually works, but in my experience i often had to wait for 2 to 3 days, and then I would receive an email from Google with some concise (sometimes not enough) informations about why the publishing was rejected.

General rules from the few emails I received:
Add an icon, add a description, add an extended description, a valid title, screenshots.
The name or description should explain exactly what the extension does.
There is something called "single purpose policy", meaning that the extension should not do 2 different things.

For example, if your extension is a popup showing some data, it shouldn't also take over the new tab, or it shouldn't also change the search engine.
Doing so may work at first, but if users hit "abuse" and your extension is manually reviewed, it may be banned.

Regards,
Francois

Hi Robert,

No Support?

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/group/chromium-extensions/.

JT

Nov 6, 2018, 4:01:43 AM11/6/18
to Chromium Extensions, jkta...@gmail.com, max...@gmail.com
Yes, I was able to get a human response when they took my extension down for obfuscated code back in May, but then they reinstated when I explained the reason it had been obfuscated to prevent theft.  Now last month there was a policy change and the automated system took down my entire account even after being reinstated for the same reason months ago.  This happened October 1st, and I was given no time to make changes.  The support email is just a brick wall automated response that says no.

As of October 1st 2018, developers must not obfuscate code or conceal functionality of their extensions. This also applies to any external code or resource fetched by the extension package.
Hi Robert,

No Support?

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/group/chromium-extensions/.

Francois Devatine

Nov 6, 2018, 4:09:49 AM11/6/18
to jkta...@gmail.com, chromium-...@chromium.org, max...@gmail.com
I'm sorry to hear that, it feels completely wrong that you didn't have any notice to change your code and push an update...

What is the reason for your obfuscation if I can ask? (with a bit more details).
No matter how much you want to avoid theft, network requests are always visible from the network panel.

For example if you are using some APIs with private keys or so, the user will always be able to read the requests made to your back-end APIs.
So in the end, there is not much that can be done except accept the fact that data can be read one way or another... it may need some changes in the back-end APIs...

Hope you will figure a way out...
Regards,
Francois

Hi Robert,

No Support?

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/group/chromium-extensions/.

JT

Nov 6, 2018, 5:34:59 AM11/6/18
to Chromium Extensions, jkta...@gmail.com, max...@gmail.com
I was using the gulp-js-obfuscator tool to compile my program so that it was not human readable. The reasoning was because I was using the google in app purchase system which was easy to circumvent using the javascript debugger for users to jump over the in-app purchase check or even see the key that was being checked and pause the program execution and set the key.  I think if google does not want developers to obfuscate code, then they should implement the web extension system mozilla has that lets us upload the unminified or obfuscated version or even provide a service to hide our business logic after upload.