Re: Are chrome extensions going to become obsolete?

Message has been deleted

Stéphane Hamel

Apr 11, 2018, 10:44:35 AM4/11/18
to Chromium-Extensions-Announce
I don't think it will go away any time soon - the extension ecosystem is just too rich for that and it's a big part of what makes Chrome so popular.

But... I suspect they are working on some major revamp. For example, a new developer dashboard is in beta, so the next logical step would also be to revamp the current web store.

On Tuesday, 27 February 2018 12:37:36 UTC-5, alex z wrote:
I don't really know what it was like before, but I've started following the store a few months ago, since i released a little extension.
And I couldn't not notice that it's barely maintained. it just looks like nobody at google really cares about it anymore.
The featured section has not changed for like a few months.
Same thing about "Recently updated", "Editor's picks" or any other list.
The rankings are kind of broken, you can have extensions with less users, less relevant keywords, less avg rating, rank higher than you and vice versa.
The thing that improved my ranking most was simply changing the description.
Just an example how broken it is, search for "cat games" and the first result is an ad blocker.
And many other bugs and issues that just makes me wonder, is there any future to chrome extensions?

What do you guys think? is it worth investing in a chrome extension or it probably has no future?

Psy Chip

May 4, 2018, 9:01:06 AM5/4/18
to Chromium-Extensions-Announce
correct. if i chrome's project manager, won't be releasing another developer dashboard if driving the truck thru downhill.