Extension "Allow access to file URLs"

KC

Mar 17, 2017, 10:26:31 AM3/17/17
to Chromium-Extensions-Announce
Hello,

We have an extension which is force installed by policy with a com.google.Chrome.plist.  Since it is "Installed by enterprise policy" changes can not be made. However, it also seems this applies to selecting the "Allow access to file URL's" checkbox. I am able to select the checkbox but the extension doesn't reload like when I have it loaded from an unpacked solution (or even from the web store). Restarting Chrome or refreshing the page just unselects the option. If I select the checkbox when loaded from the store or local files the extension reloads and everything works fine.

Our extension needs file access but also needs to be force installed. Is this possible?

Note: Starting chrome with the  --allow-file-access-from-files flag does not seem to change anything and also doesn't force policy so the extension doesn't get loaded. But even when loaded from store, checkbox off, and  --allow-file-access-from-files on... the extension did not behave as expected.

Thanks,

KC

deepshar027

Mar 19, 2017, 8:55:11 AM3/19/17
to Chromium-Extensions-Announce
Hi KC, I am also needing to write to a local file using unpacked extension. Are you able to do it?

KC

Mar 20, 2017, 9:06:49 AM3/20/17
to Chromium-Extensions-Announce
Unpacked, I am able to check/uncheck the checkbox no problem. As far as I know browser doesn't have file io capabilities without some security downgrades but I honestly have not looked into that. We handle all file io from the server end of things. We just need the file access for upload/download and drag/drop detection.