Issue with chrome tabs API

Praveen Kumar

Nov 4, 2017, 10:08:41 AM11/4/17
to Chromium-Extensions-Announce
Hi,
I have a chrome extension using Chrome Tabs API. Its working fine in Mac os. But not working on windows OS as well as development mode in Mac OS. `chrome.tabs` is undefined. Can anyone help on this.

Devlin Cronin

Nov 7, 2017, 11:04:29 AM11/7/17
to Chromium-Extensions-Announce
Can you include the relevant code?  The file that tries to use chrome.tabs, the context for that file, and the manifest.json file?
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Praveen Kumar

Nov 8, 2017, 2:09:41 AM11/8/17
to Chromium-Extensions-Announce
Could not attach the file

I have a function move to tab
function moveToTab() {
  chrome.windows.update(parseInt($('.selected')[0].children[4].innerHTML), { focused: true });
  chrome.tabs.update(parseInt($('.selected')[0].children[3].innerHTML), { selected: true });
}

this will be called when user clicks on an item like this
item.addEventListener('click', function () { moveToTab() });

PhistucK

Nov 8, 2017, 2:32:27 AM11/8/17
to Praveen Kumar, Chromium-Extensions-Announce
Where is this code located?
Content script/executeScript (1)? Extension tab/browser or page action popup/background/event page (2)?
(1) cannot use chrome.tabs or chrome.windows. You must pass a message to (2) and they will call chrome.tabs or chrome.windows.
You should see a console error for (1), I believe. And in case it does not work in (2), see if there is a console error as well.

PhistucK

Praveen Kumar

PhistucK

Nov 8, 2017, 3:33:02 AM11/8/17
to Praveen Kumar, Chromium-Extensions-Announce
I cannot reproduce. I attached a 7-zip created archive with a sample extension.

PhistucK

On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 9:49 AM, Praveen Kumar <praveen...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

page-action.wim
Message has been deleted

PhistucK

Nov 8, 2017, 6:25:23 AM11/8/17
to Praveen Kumar, Chromium-Extensions-Announce
Your extension seems to work perfectly on my Windows Chrome 61.

In the first post of this thread, you mention that it is also not working in "development mode in Mac OS", do you mean that it stops working once you tick the "Developer mode" check box in chrome:extensions?
If so, I do not think it has any material influence on anything other than the chrome:extensions design...

PhistucK

On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 1:11 PM, Praveen Kumar <praveen...@gmail.com> wrote:
Have attached the packed extension. Please check

PhistucK

Praveenkumar

Praveen Kumar

Nov 8, 2017, 7:15:27 AM11/8/17
to PhistucK, Chromium-Extensions-Announce
Im using windows chrome 61 and its not working properly. Can you try installing the extension from following link https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/go-to-tab/hjfkaobgkmaeomgdhmhhipdbjdhhjkoi?hl=en
The use of this extension is, it will list all the tabs in all the windows, and when you click on a tab it will navigate to that tab.

And regarding Mac setup, its not working when Im having break points in the inspect popup of the chrome extension.

Thanks for your help

PhistucK

Praveenkumar

--
Praveenkumar

PhistucK

Nov 8, 2017, 7:22:20 AM11/8/17
to Praveen Kumar, Chromium-Extensions-Announce
Works for me.

PhistucK

PhistucK

Praveenkumar

--
Praveenkumar

Praveen Kumar

Nov 8, 2017, 7:28:57 AM11/8/17
to PhistucK, Chromium-Extensions-Announce
That is strange. I will try using some other windows system. Anyways thanks a lot for your help.

Works for me.

PhistucK

PhistucK

Praveenkumar

--
Praveenkumar

--
Praveenkumar

Funedia Funedia

Nov 8, 2017, 3:54:18 PM11/8/17
to Chromium-Extensions-Announce
Yes. we are seeing this as well. About 1-2 % of users get chrome.tabs as undefined. I am not sure why. We just recently added ability to capture these exceptions with sentry.io so I am not sure how much it was happening historically.

I have looked through chrome bugs but I didn't see anything there. I also did a bunch of google search and still can't find any relevant info. Most posts are related to people wanting to call the chrome.tabs api form contentscript which does not work.

I have seen this error on both mac and windows and different versions of chrome. So my suspicion is maybe is related to a setting in chrome that the user has restricted. If it was a default setting we would have seen a lot more of it.

Praveen - Do you have a consistent repro of this?

PhistucK

Nov 8, 2017, 3:59:39 PM11/8/17
to Funedia Funedia, Devlin Cronin, Chromium-Extensions-Announce
I am not sure such setting exists. It sounds like bindings issue to me. Devlin, any idea?

PhistucK

Funedia Funedia

Nov 8, 2017, 5:45:16 PM11/8/17
to Chromium-Extensions-Announce
Digging more. It looks like it only happens in older version of chrome. I have not seen this on the newer chrome versions.

Browser
Chrome 58.0.2993
Chrome 54.0.2840
Chrome 54.0.2840
Chrome 54.0.2840
Chrome 50.0.2661
Chrome 49.0.2623
Chrome 49.0.2623
Chrome 50.0.2661
Chrome 50.0.2661
Chrome 50.0.2661
Chrome 50.0.2661
Chrome 50.0.2661
Chrome 50.0.2661
Chrome 50.0.2661

PhistucK

Nov 9, 2017, 1:52:24 AM11/9/17
to Funedia Funedia, Chromium-Extensions-Announce
You should probably strongly urge those users to update.
Old Chrome versions are completely unsupported, have many, many known security issues and bugs will never be fixed on those versions.
Unless you find a workaround, there is nothing to do here...

PhistucK

Devlin Cronin

Nov 9, 2017, 9:05:03 AM11/9/17
to PhistucK, Funedia Funedia, Chromium-Extensions-Announce
There is an existing bug, crbug.com/769823, which demonstrates that sometimes we incorrectly classify JS contexts in the extension system.  In that bug, it manifests by not exposing all the proper methods on runtime, but for the tabs, API, it would result in it not being visible at all.

All instances I've seen of that so far have been edge cases where the extension tries to access APIs in an unclassified frame (i.e., one that isn't fully instantiated, like an about:blank iframe), and thus isn't granted privileged bindings.  If you have a reliable repro that shows this happening elsewhere (e.g., in the main frame of your background page, extension popup, or a tab open to an extension page), please attach it here or on the bug.

You should probably strongly urge those users to update.
Old Chrome versions are completely unsupported, have many, many known security issues and bugs will never be fixed on those versions.
Somewhat unrelated, but I can't agree with this or stress this more.

PhistucK

Funedia Funedia

Nov 10, 2017, 12:44:15 AM11/10/17
to Chromium-Extensions-Announce, phis...@gmail.com, fun...@gmail.com
Aha. That is very interesting. My problem is indeed very similar. We insert an iframe into the page via the content script. The content of that iframe is a regular extension page from chrome-extension://

So I tried to get some more information of the platform by updating the users and calling getPlatformInfo on the same page and attaching the result to the exception tracker we use (sentry.io). But now I am getting

chrome.runtime.getPlatformInfo is not a function

And this "getPlatformInfo is not a function" is happening on chrome 62 as well. It happens occasionally so maybe it is timing issue of the page not being ready somehow. I suspect the angualr app takes substantial amount of time get setup and load and that should be enough for chrome to have made chrome.runtime ready. So I think this is somehow related to the chrome.tabs not being ready either.

Should I be waiting for some event before calling chrome.runtime api ?

Thanks in advance

PhistucK

Praveen Kumar

Nov 13, 2017, 11:39:38 PM11/13/17
to Chromium-Extensions-Announce, phis...@gmail.com, fun...@gmail.com, Devlin Cronin
I have a valid reproduction in 62.0.3202.89. Im using the page action popup and the issue occurs in a fully instantiated page. Also Im not using any iframe or background JS.  Im getting the error `lazy require of tabs.bindings did not set the binding fields`. Will this help?

John Gachina

Nov 14, 2017, 1:12:40 AM11/14/17
to Praveen Kumar, Chromium-Extensions-Announce, PhistucK, fun...@gmail.com, Devlin Cronin
What should I do to stop receiving messages from this newsgroup?

PhistucK

PhistucK

Nov 14, 2017, 4:29:35 AM11/14/17
to John Gachina, Praveen Kumar, Chromium-Extensions-Announce, Funedia Funedia, Devlin Cronin
If you meant to unsubscribe -
Try sending a blank e-mail to chromium-extens...@chromium.org (note that +unsubscribe in the address, it is important). If you already did exactly that, skip this.
If that does not work and you are still getting e-mails -
2. Click on the button that has an icon of a head and shoulders.
3. Click on "Leave group" and you are done. Or -
 a. Select in the selection box - "Don't send email updates".
 b. Click on "Save".

PhistucK

beautyi...@gmail.com

Nov 14, 2017, 7:44:21 AM11/14/17

On Tuesday, November 7, 2017 at 10:04:29 AM UTC-6, Devlin Cronin wrote:
Can you include the relevant code?  The file that tries to use chrome.tabs, the context for that file, and the manifest.json file?

Italian Beauty

Nov 14, 2017, 7:47:40 AM11/14/17
to Chromium-Extensions-Announce

Italian Beauty

Italian Beauty

Nov 14, 2017, 7:48:41 AM11/14/17
to Chromium-Extensions-Announce, praveen...@gmail.com

Italian Beauty

Nov 14, 2017, 7:48:58 AM11/14/17
to Chromium-Extensions-Announce, praveen...@gmail.com

Italian Beauty

Nov 14, 2017, 7:49:10 AM11/14/17
to Chromium-Extensions-Announce, praveen...@gmail.com

Italian Beauty

Nov 14, 2017, 7:49:25 AM11/14/17
to Chromium-Extensions-Announce, praveen...@gmail.com

Italian Beauty

Nov 14, 2017, 7:49:38 AM11/14/17
to Chromium-Extensions-Announce, praveen...@gmail.com

Italian Beauty

Nov 14, 2017, 7:50:33 AM11/14/17
to Chromium-Extensions-Announce, praveen...@gmail.com

PhistucK

PhistucK

Italian Beauty

Nov 14, 2017, 7:52:52 AM11/14/17
to Chromium-Extensions-Announce, praveen...@gmail.com

PhistucK

--
Praveenkumar

Italian Beauty

Nov 14, 2017, 7:53:05 AM11/14/17
to Chromium-Extensions-Announce, phis...@gmail.com

PhistucK

Praveenkumar

--
Praveenkumar

Italian Beauty

Nov 14, 2017, 7:53:26 AM11/14/17
to Chromium-Extensions-Announce

Italian Beauty

Italian Beauty

Praveen Kumar

Dec 5, 2017, 9:24:39 AM12/5/17
to Chromium-Extensions-Announce, phis...@gmail.com, fun...@gmail.com, Devlin Cronin
Hi,

Can anyone try the chrome extension https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/go-to-tab/hjfkaobgkmaeomgdhmhhipdbjdhhjkoi?hl=en in pixel chromebook. It seems the above said bug is repeating for some users. Im getting the error `lazy require of tabs.bindings did not set the binding fields`. Thanks in advance.

PhistucK