'enterprise.platformKeys' not allowed for specified install location

Andy R

Aug 29, 2016, 9:13:01 AM8/29/16
to Chromium-Extensions-Announce
Dear all,

I'm developing an extension using Enterprise PlatformKeys functions with an Asus C10 Chromebit.  Using "developer mode"  how do I overcome the following permissions error:

'enterprise.platformKeys'  not allowed for specified install location

Using a Chromebit I am only able to upload and load my extension from the "Downloads" folder.

I'm aware the documentation advises "extensions pre-installed by policy" and reading https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/1375694?hl=en      it is not easy to understand,  can anyone advise otherwise?

Any feedback,  sincerely appreciated.

Kind regards

Andy

Antony Sargent

Aug 29, 2016, 6:49:54 PM8/29/16
to Andy R, Chromium-Extensions-Announce
AFAIK that API is only allowed in extensions installed by enterprise policy. You might try contacting the Chrome for Work/Education support to see if they have any suggested workflows for development in this kind of a case (the best I can think of is that you have a test account that has a special policy to install a development version of this extension, but that's obviously a pretty cumbersome development workflow since every change you make would require re-uploading a new version to the webstore).

francisco robledo

Aug 29, 2016, 10:41:34 PM8/29/16
to Antony Sargent, Andy R, Chromium-Extensions-Announce

Enviado desde Correo para Windows 10

Andy R

Aug 30, 2016, 7:29:42 AM8/30/16
to Chromium-Extensions-Announce
Thanks for the reply Anthony - currently following up with Google Work Support - will post my findings.

Luis Onate

Dec 1, 2017, 12:59:12 PM12/1/17
to Chromium-Extensions-Announce, a...@ardigitalsolutions.co.uk
Hi Andy,

I know I'm over a year late to the party, but did you ever find a reasonable flow for this situation? I'm running into the same issue that you were having. Thanks for any insight you wouldn't mind sharing!

-Rene

Andrew Routledge

Dec 4, 2017, 8:27:24 AM12/4/17
to Chromium-Extensions-Announce, a...@ardigitalsolutions.co.uk

Hi Rene

Thanks for asking so kindly.  In order to use Enterprise functions you must purchase a Google Management Console licence.

It’s approx. $50 for one and you can purchase single licence from a US based reseller.

In the UK i had difficulty buying single licenses resellers said they would only sell to me in 5,  which was far too expensive.

Once the licence is awarded with your Google account you can now Enroll your Chrome OS device with your Google account and assign the licence to it from your Google Admin Console via Device Management.

After which you can assign the setting Enterprise policy permissions with your device.

Before you can fully test you will need to upload your Extension to the Chrome Store first (isolate it’s use to only yourself)   takes about 20mins and then from your Device  Management screen (google admin console)  set your Extension to install automatically with your device as part your Management Policy.

Finally after all this - reboot your Chrome OS device,  open Chrome and your Extension will appear pre-installed.

You can use Enterprise.PlatformKeys functions as described in the Google Chrome API documentation

Hope that helps

Andy

Joydeep rony

Apr 23, 2019, 2:22:37 AM4/23/19
to Chromium Extensions, a...@ardigitalsolutions.co.uk
Is there a workaround to test the extension without uploading to chrome store??

Regards
Jaydeep

Simeon Vincent

Apr 23, 2019, 1:33:19 PM4/23/19
to Chromium Extensions, a...@ardigitalsolutions.co.uk
Self-hosting an extension and force-installing using enterprise policies is the traditional option. Another free option is Chrome Browser Cloud Management (CBCM) which was just announced at Next '19. Check out this YouTube vid for a quick overview fo the tool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfwyrVIFVeI.

Simeon - @dotproto
Extensions Developer Advocate

Joydeep rony

Apr 23, 2019, 1:38:30 PM4/23/19
to Simeon Vincent, Chromium Extensions, a...@ardigitalsolutions.co.uk
Hey Simeon
Thanks for the link, i have a another doubt, is there a way that extension would be able to read the extensionPolicy value which is part of chromeapplicationsetting. ?? Basically how can I read the user policies in the extension.

Simeon Vincent

Apr 23, 2019, 2:15:19 PM4/23/19
to Chromium Extensions, sim...@chromium.org, a...@ardigitalsolutions.co.uk
Oops, I should have noted that CBCM is only an alternative to managing policies. You'll still need to set up your own web server to host the extensions. Also, you'll probably want write some scripts to automate the process of bundling an extension and sending it to the web server for hosting. More detailed steps on self-hosting can be found here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pT0ZSbGdrbGvuCsVD2jjxrw-GVz-80rMS2dgkkquhTY/edit#heading=h.gb2ntk6856ld

Apologies, I'm not sure what you mean by "extensionPolicy" and "chromeapplicationsetting". I can't recall any APIs or policies that use those terms. That said, Chrome extensions cannot directly access the policies applied to the computer or the user. To get that information you could build a web service that fetches policies from your policy management service based on the metadata you do have access to: namely information about the the computer or the user