Chromium is crashing on Ubuntu 16.04 with 'Segmentation fault'

Mihaela Veltanescu

Apr 23, 2017, 3:19:39 AM4/23/17
to Chromium-discuss
Hello,

Chromium is crashing on Ubuntu 16.04 with the error:

Thread 25 "Chrome_IOThread" received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.

Does anyone encountered this issue before ?
Any ideas how can I further debug it ?

Thank you
chromium_segmentation_fault.txt

PhistucK

Apr 23, 2017, 3:26:08 AM4/23/17
to mihaela.v...@gmail.com, Chromium-discuss
Can you reproduce with Chrome?

If not, it might be a distribution modification issue and you should ask at its discussion groups.

If you can reproduce it with Chrome -
You can search crbug.com for an existing issue and star it. If you cannot find one, file a new issue using the "New issue" link on the same page.
Please, do not add a "+1" or "Me too" or "Confirmed" (or similar) comment. It just wastes the time of Chrome engineers and sends unnecessary e-mails to all of the people who starred the issue.

You can reply with a link to the found or created issue and might get triaged (and fixed) faster.

Thank you.

PhistucK

Primiano Tucci

Apr 24, 2017, 6:05:31 AM4/24/17
to mihaela.v...@gmail.com, Chromium-discuss
From the stack trace it seems that the crash isn't really into chrome but in libiidp11.so which in turn is invoked by libcrypto.so. Perhaps you have some unusual config which affects libcrypto (it seems some sort of PKCS11 driver for hw tokens)?
Also, completely unrelated, can I ask if you built chrome yourself or got it from some Linux distribution? I ask because from the stacktrace I see that is a component build (see libnet.so, which by should just be part of the chrome binary and not be a standalone .so). Component builds shouldn't be used for anything other than local development / testing. They are known to be slower and can cause bugs (possibly even this one) because, conversely to what happens to the monolithic release binary which is quite hermetic in terms of symbols leakage, component builds will leak all sort of symbols which can cause bugs if their names clash with some other library used by dependent .so libraries.