FileReader silently fails

David Leston

Mar 25, 2013, 6:43:42 PM3/25/13
to chromium...@chromium.org
When calling a "readAs" methods on FileReader with invalid input, no exception is thrown and the onerror callback is not invoked. This behavior is described on StackOverflow. I could not find information in the spec on what to do with invalid input. What is the appropriate forum to discuss changing this silent failure?

Kinuko Yasuda

Mar 25, 2013, 7:03:26 PM3/25/13
to david....@gmail.com, Chromium-discuss
It sounds like we should probably throw a type exception or something, though it doesn't seem spec'ed.

As for the spec issue you could probably file a spec bug from: https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/enter_bug.cgi (for WebAppsWG), or send an email to public-...@w3.org (http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/) where File/FileReader spec discussion takes place.

As for Chrome behavior it's great if you could file a bug: http://crbug.com/new

Thanks!

On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 3:43 PM, David Leston <david....@gmail.com> wrote:
When calling a "readAs" methods on FileReader with invalid input, no exception is thrown and the onerror callback is not invoked. This behavior is described on StackOverflow. I could not find information in the spec on what to do with invalid input. What is the appropriate forum to discuss changing this silent failure?

David Leston

Mar 25, 2013, 7:29:49 PM3/25/13
to chromium...@chromium.org, david....@gmail.com, kin...@google.com
Thank you for the links. I have filed W3C spec bug for WebAppsWG and a Chromium bug. It's my first time filing a bug in either of these communities. I invite folks to modify the bug reports to make them more useful or to ask for more info.