Type keywords in address bar then press enter for search may leaks keywords.

Mo Li

May 25, 2015, 8:36:00 AM5/25/15
to chromium...@chromium.org
Happened if the search text does not contain special characters or blank character and press enter for search.

Tested on Google Chrome 43.0.2357.65 (64-bit) and Chromium 41.0.2272.76 Ubuntu 15.04 (64-bit).

I captured the request by console.log(details) in onBeforeRequest.
Here is:

Object {frameId: -1, method: "HEAD", parentFrameId: -1, requestId: "4978", tabId: -1…}
frameId
: -1
method
: "HEAD"
parentFrameId
: -1
requestId
: "4978"
tabId
: -1
timeStamp
: 1432546451701.694
type
: "other"
url
: "http://test/"
__proto__
: Object

Object {frameId: 0, method: "GET", parentFrameId: -1, requestId: "4979", tabId: 603…}
frameId
: 0
method
: "GET"
parentFrameId
: -1
requestId
: "4979"
tabId
: 603
timeStamp
: 1432546451821.473
type
: "main_frame"
url
: "https://www.google.com/search?q=test"

out-3.ogv
Screenshot from 2015-05-24 17-36-41.png
Screenshot from 2015-05-24 17-43-15.png

Dominic Battré

May 26, 2015, 11:15:29 AM5/26/15
to chromium...@chromium.org, lym...@gmail.com
Hi.

The purpose for sending the first request that you quote is to determine whether there is a host on your network that has the name that you typed into the omnibox. For example, many users have a router at their home that is called "router". You need to navigate to http://router to enter its configuration. As most users don't type http:// anymore, they would trigger a search for "router" instead of going to the configuration site of the router. The same applies to network enabled printers and very often in corporate settings that have configured for example an email site "http://mail" or "http://m" (or similar sites for intranet, calendar, groupware, ...).

Just changing the behavior would "break the internet" for many users. We could potentially change the behavior such that we don't perform the first request unless you typed a single word that contains either a "." or a "/". But before doing that, we would need to measure the impact of this change and I am not sure we can do that in a reliable way. Another idea was to tie this behavior to the "Use a webservice to help resolve navigation errors" checkbox in chrome://settings.

I'd be interested in other ideas.

Best regards,
Dominic

Mo Li

May 26, 2015, 12:41:24 PM5/26/15
to chromium...@chromium.org, lym...@gmail.com
Thanks for help.  Google Chrome on Linux updated to Version 43.0.2357.81 (64-bit), and looks like the problem fixed, it no longer happened.