What's the reason for disabling Chrome's ability to display PDFs?

Bob Enyart

Jun 25, 2017, 1:47:48 AM6/25/17
to Chromium-discuss
I webmaster sites with tens of millions of visits, and I'm wrestling with what to do with all our pdf links that were previously visible in Chrome (as in other browsers). Now (Ver. 58) Chrome requires opening them in an external PDF viewer. At least if I can understand why this change was made, it might not be as frustrating. Or, might this change in the near future?

PhistucK

Jun 25, 2017, 2:06:13 AM6/25/17
to bobe...@gmail.com, Chromium-discuss
I am not familiar with such an intentional change.
I googled -
file:pdf
I went to the first result -
And the internal PDF viewer was used to render the PDF.

I am using Chrome 59 (not 58), though. Try updating your Chrome.

Or maybe when you downloaded it, you (or someone else using your browser) selected "Open with system viewer" once (in the context menu of the download) and it might have persisted. Select it again in order to uncheck it.
(You might have also selected to open it automatically when done, so in order to revert that choice, or the previous choice I mentioned, you should probably look for a big PDF file to download, because then it will be displayed in the downloads bar long enough for you to uncheck either of those options)

PhistucK

On Fri, Jun 23, 2017 at 12:59 AM, Bob Enyart <bobe...@gmail.com> wrote:
I webmaster sites with tens of millions of visits, and I'm wrestling with what to do with all our pdf links that were previously visible in Chrome (as in other browsers). Now (Ver. 58) Chrome requires opening them in an external PDF viewer. At least if I can understand why this change was made, it might not be as frustrating. Or, might this change in the near future?

Bob Enyart

Jun 25, 2017, 9:18:59 AM6/25/17
to Chromium-discuss
FIXED! Okay thanks for the updating to Chrome 59 (from 58) suggestion. Yes, that worked. They seemed to restore that functionality via chrome://settings/content/pdfDocuments?search=pdf (under Privacy & Security, Content Settings, PDF documents). I turned that setting off.

PDFs are once again viewable in my Chrome browser. Thank you!

- Bob Enyart
Denver, Colorado

Legally Insane

Jul 6, 2017, 6:21:05 AM7/6/17
to Chromium-discuss
But Bob, didn't you open a brand new can of worms, or am I missing something obvious? Follow my train of thought below please, and enlighten me if you can.

* I'm under the impression that Chrome is by default "self updating", is it or not?
* If it is there's either a big problem with that guy having to tell you to update your Chrome

or

* There's still a problem, or perhaps "tens of millions" of problems. Wouldn't that mean each and every website visitor may have your original problem now? Would they even know the links were missing?

What am I not seeing here?

PhistucK

Jul 6, 2017, 6:36:33 AM7/6/17
to magyv...@gmail.com, Chromium-discuss
While Chrome is indeed self-updating, it may take a few weeks to automatically get the latest version due to the gradual roll-out philosophy of Google.

PhistucK

Legally Insane

Jul 6, 2017, 6:51:14 AM7/6/17
to Chromium-discuss, magyv...@gmail.com
Phisruck, for an ordinary forum member you sure get around a lot, lol. I just saw you solve that other guy's problem: "I permanently altered the appearance of my website using INSPECT / INSPECTOR".

Are you sure you're not an expert? (tongue planted firmly in cheek)

PhistucK