Chrome Dev Tools - Network Recording not reporting data for specific resource requests

esh

May 30, 2016, 9:31:54 AM5/30/16
to Chromium-discuss
Behavior of [Developer Tools - Record network activity] changed between Chrome 36 and (at least) 46+ that Developer Tools Network recording no longer records any information for certain resources.

Example: in Chrome 34 and 36 I was able to enter a URL to an APK file and get information on resource download times via debugger API and through the Dev Tools console. I tried this with a .APK file and with a .m3u8 file on different domains and for each object I got resource response times displayed.

When I upgraded to Chrome 46 and enter these URLs with Dev Tools open and network recording turned on I see nothing. The network activity is blank. The attached images help show what I'm seeign - in CH36 it records the object downloaded and in CH46+ it is blank. I dont have versions between 36-46 to see where the behavior changed.

I don't know whether this change was by design or a defect. Has anyone else seen this behavior and know why this change occured? May not seem like a big deal but I'm reliant on the data returned by the dev tools and debugger API and my customer is demanding an answer as to why this changed.
chrome46-network.png
chrome36-network.png

Stuart

Feb 4, 2017, 1:22:06 PM2/4/17
to Chromium-discuss, marke...@gmail.com
We just ran into this yesterday. :-(

A colleague noted that network activity recording is only bypassed for files that (paraphrasing) don't have a content handler registered:

PhistucK

Feb 4, 2017, 1:26:55 PM2/4/17
to stuartm...@gmail.com, Chromium-discuss, marke...@gmail.com
You can search crbug.com for an existing issue and star it. If you cannot find one, file a new issue using the "New issue" link on the same page.
Please, do not add a "+1" or "Me too" or "Confirmed" (or similar) comment. It just wastes the time of Chrome engineers and sends unnecessary e-mails to all of the people who starred the issue.

You can reply with a link to the found or created issue and might get triaged (and fixed) faster.

Thank you.

PhistucK

Jonathan Garbee

Feb 5, 2017, 9:06:36 AM2/5/17
to Chromium-discuss, stuartm...@gmail.com, marke...@gmail.com
Direct downloads don't go through DevTools since they are directed specifically to the download area. It doesn't go through a normal pages network stack.

There have been a few issues brought up about this in the past. But, iirc handling this means quite a lot of work in the network area.

Robert Wilson

Feb 6, 2017, 1:34:24 AM2/6/17
to jonatha...@gmail.com, Chromium-discuss, stuartm...@gmail.com, marke...@gmail.com
NUts