Unable to launch chrome-42 in CentOS-6

Ajay Choudary

Apr 18, 2015, 2:28:40 AM4/18/15
to chromium...@chromium.org
Hi,

After updating Chrome to  42 version (on CentOS 6.6 ), i was unable to launch the chrome.
It is simply dumping core. Filed a  Bug: 477291 in chromium issues. But i didn't get any response.

I used chrome M33 to M41 on this PC without any issues. Now i was unable launch it.

Is there any way to downgrade it to M41, i was feeling uncomfortable with Firefox.

Regards,
Ajay

Tracer77

Apr 18, 2015, 7:46:28 PM4/18/15
to chromium...@chromium.org
It could be an issue with your gpu or its drivers

In your terminal type

google-chrome-stable  --disable-gpu

to workaround this issue. See if it works , if it doesn't it could rule out gpu issues.

if you want to identify a specific issue you can also try using the flags listed below.

I did not see any problems on my test system using CentOS 7

CentOS and RHEL may heavily delay driver updates in their repo's in view of stability. Try installing proprietary drivers from AMD or NVIDIA from their websites to get more up to date drivers.

--disable-gpu Disables GPU hardware acceleration. If software renderer is not in place, then the GPU process won't launch.
--disable-gpu-compositing Prevent the compositor from using its GPU implementation.
--disable-gpu-driver-bug-workarounds Disable workarounds for various GPU driver bugs.
--disable-gpu-early-init Disable proactive early init of GPU process.
--disable-gpu-program-cache Turn off gpu program caching
--disable-gpu-rasterization Disable GPU rasterization, i.e. rasterize on the CPU only. Overrides the kEnableGpuRasterization and kForceGpuRasterization flags.
--disable-gpu-sandbox Disable the GPU process sandbox.
--disable-gpu-shader-disk-cache Disables the GPU shader on disk cache.
--disable-gpu-vsync Stop the GPU from synchronizing on the vsync before presenting.
--disable-gpu-watchdog

Ajay Choudary

Apr 19, 2015, 4:38:36 AM4/19/15
to chromium...@chromium.org, vish...@gmail.com

Tried with all the suggested command line arguments, but no luck

Here i don't have any dedicated Graphic Controller, using the default Intel Controller.

Check the below statistics

[root@G ~]# lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor DRAM Controller (rev 02)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset HECI Controller (rev 06)
00:16.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset PT IDER Controller (rev 06)
00:16.3 Serial controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset KT Controller (rev 06)
00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82578DC Gigabit Network Connection (rev 06)
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset USB2 Enhanced Host Controller (rev 06)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High Definition Audio (rev 06)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset USB2 Enhanced Host Controller (rev 06)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev a6)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 5 Series Chipset LPC Interface Controller (rev 06)
00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset 4 port SATA IDE Controller (rev 06)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset SMBus Controller (rev 06)
00:1f.5 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset 2 port SATA IDE Controller (rev 06)
01:00.0 Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6105/VT6106S [Rhine-III] (rev 8b)
[root@G ~]#
[root@G ~]# rpm -qa |grep intel
xorg-x11-drv-intel-2.99.911-6.el6.x86_64

[root@G ~]# google-chrome-stable
Aborted (core dumped)
[root@G ~]# google-chrome-stable --disable-gpu
Aborted (core dumped)
[root@G ~]# google-chrome-stable --enable-logging=stderr --log-level=3 --v=1 --disable-gpu
Aborted (core dumped)
[root@G ~]# google-chrome-stable --disable-gpu-early-init
Aborted (core dumped)
[root@G ~]# google-chrome-stable --disable-gpu-compositing
Aborted (core dumped)
[root@G ~]# google-chrome-stable --disable-gpu-driver-bug-workarounds
Aborted (core dumped)
[root@G ~]# google-chrome-stable --disable-gpu-program-cache
Aborted (core dumped)
[root@G ~]# google-chrome-stable --disable-gpu-rasterization
Aborted (core dumped)
[root@G ~]# google-chrome-stable --disable-gpu-sandbox
Aborted (core dumped)
[root@G ~]# google-chrome-stable --disable-gpu-shader-disk-cache
Aborted (core dumped)
[root@G ~]# google-chrome-stable --disable-gpu-vsync
Aborted (core dumped)
[root@G ~]# google-chrome-stable --disable-gpu-watchdog
Aborted (core dumped)

Regards,
Ajay

tracer77

Apr 19, 2015, 3:23:43 PM4/19/15
to chromium...@chromium.org
CentOS 6 and RHEL 6 are no longer supported by chrome.

Sadly, the Google Chrome browser no longer supports the most famous commercial distribution RHEL 6.x and its free clones such as CentOS and Scientific LinuxYes, they’ve discontinued support for RHEL 6.X version as of Google Chrome and on other side, latest Firefox and Opera browsers run successfully on the same platforms.

Luckily, there is a script developed by Richard Lloyd, that automatically download and install latest Google Chrome browser by picking libraries from a more recent released distro and put those libraries in (/opt/google/chrome/lib) directory and then you can able to run Google Chrome on RHEL/CentOS 6.x version.

Go here for details http://www.tecmint.com/install-google-chrome-on-redhat-centos-fedora-linux/

CentOS 6 does not have the necessary system libraries to support Google Chrome version 42.

I cannot vouch for the authenticity of the script by richard lloyd.

I recommend you upgrade to CentOS 7 or any more latest OS.

tracer77

Apr 19, 2015, 3:29:57 PM4/19/15
to chromium...@chromium.org
If you want to downgrade which is not recommended just uninstall and install the last compatible version.
Staying on outdated versions is not recommended.
Just upgrade to CentOS 7, Fedora 21, Ubuntu 14.04 or similar

Ajay Choudary

Apr 21, 2015, 2:48:51 AM4/21/15
to chromium...@chromium.org

Library compatibility issue is exists in versions <=41,
Error: /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.15' not found
That i already fixed by installing latest GCC trunk.

Now Chrome-42 is working in CentOS-6.x also by disabling sandbox (as suggested in Bug_id=470306).
I don't have any idea on this sandbox, what it will do / where it will impact.
Please guide me.

tracer77

Apr 21, 2015, 5:35:57 AM4/21/15
to chromium...@chromium.org
New compat issues may have arised because chrome for linux is now compile with llvm-clang and not gcc. Some clang deps may be required.
If possible upgrade.

Christian Biesinger

Apr 21, 2015, 10:59:22 AM4/21/15
to aja...@gmail.com, Chromium-discuss
Disabling the sandbox is a very bad idea, it makes Chrome much less
secure. But I don't really know anything about CentOS, so I don't know
what a good solution is.

-christian
> --

jsel

May 4, 2015, 10:08:34 PM5/4/15
to chromium...@chromium.org, aja...@gmail.com
Try "rm -rf ~/.config/google-chrome/*" if any one still runs into the same problem starting google chrome. It works magically with me.

Reilly Grant

May 5, 2015, 2:10:34 PM5/5/15
to jl...@dmo-sys.com, chromium...@chromium.org, aja...@gmail.com
Be warned that doing so will delete your entire profile so if you do not have sync enabled you will loose all your bookmarks, history, etc.