Why are two crash URLs, chrome://crash and about:inducebrowsercrashforrealz, published to all Chrome users?

MSI Team

Mar 30, 2015, 3:32:17 PM3/30/15
to chromium...@chromium.org
These two crash URLs, chrome://crash (which overflows the tab's memory) and about:inducebrowsercrashforrealz (which closes the browser and triggers "Google Chrome has stopped working") published into Chrome to all users? This is nonsense. If these two crash URLs are intended for testing how the browser handles and reports crashes, why are they published to all users?

Jonathan Garbee

Mar 30, 2015, 3:39:16 PM3/30/15
to chromium...@chromium.org
They are also useful for developers to test how their applications work in a crash scenario.

Torne (Richard Coles)

Mar 30, 2015, 3:51:50 PM3/30/15
to jonatha...@gmail.com, chromium...@chromium.org
These special URLs only work if directly typed into the URL bar (not if linked to), so there doesn't seem to be much reason to worry about them. If someone types chrome://inducebrowsercrashforrealz in their url bar and it crashes, I think it's pretty safe to tell them to just not do that again ;)

MSI Team

Mar 30, 2015, 4:37:13 PM3/30/15
to chromium...@chromium.org
Then why are these crash URLs published to the public instead of restricted to developers testing their applications? A warning might be helpful.

Jonathan Garbee

Mar 30, 2015, 4:40:57 PM3/30/15
to chromium...@chromium.org
No warning necessary. How do you even come across these URLs? Most people won't ever know they exist. There is an open bug to make sure they can't be set to the homepage (that is the real issue with them being used by pranksters.)

They are public, because there is no need for a flag to be set for this or for it to be hidden away. We want features for developers to be readily accessible.

On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 4:37 PM MSI Team <msimprovert...@gmail.com> wrote:
Then why are these crash URLs published to the public instead of restricted to developers testing their applications? A warning might be helpful.

Jonathan Garbee

Mar 30, 2015, 4:53:28 PM3/30/15
to MSI Team, Chromium-discuss
Exactly, most users don't even know the issue tracker exists. And those that do, most of them understand inherently what those URLs would do. The few that don't... sorry.

There is nothing to fix here. This stuff has been around for a very long time, most likely since beta on Windows-only. It has caused no major issues so far.

On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 4:49 PM MSI Team <msimprovert...@gmail.com> wrote:
I found the crash URLs on the Chromium issue tracker.

MSI Team

Mar 30, 2015, 5:03:54 PM3/30/15
to chromium...@chromium.org
Chrome users: If you enter these crash URLs into your Chrome omnibox and your browser crashes and you lose work and data, just know that's intentional (not my decision).

Miraj Ali

Jun 25, 2016, 2:06:24 PM6/25/16
to Chromium-discuss
It's meant to be for developers and there are such safety measures in place

Also if you have custom settings on your chromebook, you will need to restart your chromebook for the settings to work again

Redalpha 333

Feb 9, 2019, 11:42:53 AM2/9/19
to Chromium-discuss
Also there pretty fun to use to mess with your friends!!!

lug nut larry

May 26, 2020, 2:22:30 PM5/26/20
to Chromium-discuss, msimprovert...@gmail.com
If you somehow navigate to chrome://chrome-urls, scroll down, read the line about how the urls below will crash or hang the browser, copy the link that states it will crash the browser, paste it into your address bar, hit enter, and are then surprised when chrome closes; I have nothing to say to you. These crash urls are so far out of the way that anybody who falls victim to them was almost guaranteed doing it to themselves.